Playing burned ISOs on PSX

drakegore

Hello

It's almost 2016 but Playstation X is the only console I have right know. Never played console much anyways.
How am I supposed to play burned ISOs downloaded from the Internet on Playstation? Isn't it possible to directly run from the copied CD? Like, adding a bootloader to the CD? I don't know, never did any of this before. No, I don't have ANY game to even test the console. Neither any friend of mine. I just want to try the freaking console :( Btw, I live in Portugal. If you think the way to go is getting something in the market, forget it. I was struggling for 2 weeks to get a controller here.

What the hell.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Welp, there are a couple of ways to get it to run from a burned CD, there is the Swap method demonstrated in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3cFEOLNWA. You do however need a real disc. The other way is to send it to some guy to install a mod chip. what type of ps1 you have? a fat ps1, or a slim?

Dailenth

Afaik the PSX can play copied games.
First you will need a DVD/RW Reader & Writer Obviously, then you will need a software to burn it with I use MagicIso.
Nobody for legal reasons can provide you where to get the Iso files but Google has evolved a lot so it's very easy to find.

Next up you will need some empty and clean CD's a 750MB x48 will do, now pick up your Iso file with the software of your choice and make sure the writing speed is slow and the CD Is finalized meaning that you can no longer write anything on it.
Make sure its slow again, it's important because if you burn at high speeds it will mess up everything, better to burn slowly and accurate but it will take you some time. Maybe hours.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Wait... you left out the mod chip bit? The PSX CD's copy protection has never been successfully beaten. You will need a mod chip or really old model that allows the swap trick or expansion card trick. Also you need to burn at 1 speed (almost impossible anymore) if you want the CD's to last.

CDR-win was the main program that was used in the day. Though the real trick to copping the CD's %100 was the ECC codes. Every burner has to write ECC data to a disc no matter how you do it. The only way to prevent that is to hack the Firmware in the burner. If you do that, the burner is no good for anything else. The reason you need to remove the ECC data is the the psx looks for that. If it sees it, it knows that CD is a copied CD or audio CD. I have heard of a few people that hacked the firmware in writers but no success stories. Thus far the black backs were merely a ruse and there was some talk about pit sizes of the punched factor CDs. This was also disproved to be a copy protection scheme. You really have to hand it to Sony but then again, they did sort of 'pioneer' (see the pun) CD's.

Last edited: