Pc build questions

Solumand

I currently have a mame arcade cabinet running with multiple emulators and I love it. The problem I have is two-fold, 1) the computer is old and no longer functioning well, and 2) I love the Golden Tee Fore games and desperately want to add them to my cabinet.

Originally I was going to buy the Golden Tee Fore hardware but, now that Mame supports this series, I think I will build a machine that is strong enough to emulate it. I have never built a computer before but I have been doing some research and have come up with this build:

Cpu- I5 4690k 3.5 Ghz
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A ATX LGA1150
Memory- G. Skills Area Series 4GB DDR3-1600
Hard drive- Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB
GPu- EVGA GeForce GT 740 1 GB
Power supply- Corsair builder 430W 80+ bronze certified ATX

I am not looking to do any hardcore PC gaming. This is strictly for an arcade cabinet and will not see any other use. I am building this merely to tackle two tasks, sustaining my arcade cabinet and adding Golden Tee Fore.

I realize that I could do this by buying a cheap desktop and the GTF hardware this would cost me roughly $400. I would rather build a computer that can run GTF and have the extra gift of running Dolphin and PCSX2 for the same price.

Would the build above suit my intended purpose?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest going for a regular hard disk instead of an SSD or keeping the SSD and adding a second larger disk just for the storage of the games. The reason being that the games run by Dolphin and PCSX2 are larger than the average game run by MAME.

Dailenth

I'd prefer a higher RAM capacity, DDR3 is just fine at 1600mhz. I'd invest more into GPU because you may want to play some modern titles, and like Lefteris I'd avoid the SSD and get a regular 7200rpm Hard Drive like Seagate Barracuda.
SSD's at its current state is heavily marketed but they aren't reliable because they have shorter lifespan and lower capacity, their only advantage is that they're super fast which again it's not a fair trade.