Best N64 emulator?

Touko White

I'm cute, aren't I?
Some people like project64, some mupen64, some 1964 or others.

I personally use Mupen64++ to emulate N64 games as it is similar to the excellent Mupen64, but is a bit improved (and comes with the Rice Plugin, because netbooks don't like DirectX).

However there hasn't been an update in ages - like practically ever other emulator that seems to exist.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I like using Mupen64 Rerecording, with the Glide "Final" plugin, nrage input, and azimers audio plugin.

malloc4096

Thx for the misc info, i have the emu's archived, but haven't actually gotten around to messing with them yet.
because netbooks don't like DirectX
I'v emulated things on netbooks before, but never tried 3D. . my assumption would be that it wouldn't be able to or would but just poorly. . . you can run 3D games, in this case mupen64 on a netbook? is it any special version(refering to only the intel based ones ofcourse). . . or are you using the term "netbook" as refering to just a small laptop in this case? and not an actual netbook?

Touko White

I'm cute, aren't I?
I installed DirectX9 onto my Acer Aspire One AOA150 (about the 4th time I tried) and Mupen64++ runs perfect with the Jabo plugins now, I was referring to the fact Snes9x 1.53 doesn't work, but that's a different story altogether, because that's not an N64 emulator. ;)

malloc4096

interesting, perhaps that means epsxe might run good enough on a netbook aswell. .

i could be wrong but assume any MS OS above XP may come preloaded with DX version above 9. So I'm going to assume your refering to winXP. . I personal also never tried installing anything above XP on a netbook. but just fyi, the DirectX version I have archived that i used when installing dx9 without 10/11/12/etc, is the directx9.0c aug2006 redist version. IDK if all previous versions are still available on MS's download site, but they use to be.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
The best to be will be cen 64. Most all n64 emulators are HLE and make lots of guess work, hence all the grafix bugs. Cen is an accurate emulator (or at least much more so) and making great progress. PJ64 I still feel is the best over all, with everything in mind.

malloc4096

I did some snooping around with everything mentioned here, and this is my 2cents. . keep in mind I have no actual experience with these emulators yet, so if anyone more informed has something to negate something i say, please do.

was stated somewere the route cen64 is taking has the potential to be the most accurate/glitch free n64 emu, true. But, it will require higher system requirement to run it than all the rest, even after its optimized. . . I believe this relates to the reason I hate MAME sometimes, because of its focus on accuracy above all else, its slower due to probably zero hardware acceleration. . All in all tho it will be great no matter to have an accurate n64 emu, but I feel a compromise between performance/accuracy is ideal but thats just my opinion. . Thats why I use ZSNES even tho higan exists, without extra filters enabled ZSNES hovers under ~10% cpu usage on an old machine, and under ~20 usually even with filters. Granted the machine could still probably run any snes emu without issue, but I like its efficency plus less heat generated lol.

last few pj64 releases come in a shady installer bundled with malware. . I cant comment on it till i actually try it on a non net enabled pc, I'm sure it works but I'll probably try the alternatives or older versions first. I can't say i agree with malware practices but malware in an Emu for games and stuff you don't own just seems kinda shady to the 2ndpower(^2x) . Don't know where i got it but the version named "Project64k_0.41.zip" also comes with a 'Glide' plugin/dll. in reference to 'Termingamer2-JD' compatability note with slow machines, tho I notice they also come with OpenGL plugins, so don't know if they would also fix the issue, that refers to most if not all of them not just pj64.

some of the misc n64 emu home pages and stuff are long dead of course, but something i liked was "mupen64plus" home page still had basic info, old-release archive still available, and I think the project might not even be dead. . I don't look that deep lol. But I like projects that can still at least provide documentation and Old Releases.

that and from some other misc stuff i saw, I maybe inclined to try them out in this order whenever i get around to it.
- mupen64plus
- mupen64++
- mupen64
- pj64 old versions
- pj64
- ultraHLE

cen64 is a no brainer too, but i assume its not yet in a usable state for most roms

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
true. But, it will require higher system requirement to run it than all the rest, even after its optimized
LOL no its going to require a very high-end system. By the time Cen64 is ready for game play the latest and greatest intel will get 15 to 30 FPS. Like every perfect emulation (bsnes) has done before it.

PJ64 1.7 is really the one you want to consider that 2.x stuff is just a bunch of code hacks to make some other games run. To be honest 2.x has more bugs then 1.7 when you start using it. That crap spyware can be avoided by downloading from the repository. There is a topic on that in the released/updated section below.

malloc4096

re cen64: if thats the case, IMO that disqualifies it for Best n64 emu for the mean while(even if it was up and running already), seeing as the best would be dependent on the limitations then to the users pc.

re pj64: if your refering to the repositories from github or something were you need to compile it yourself. . thats not newb friendly at all, and also would disqualify it for Best n64 emu IMO for the majority of casual users, unless there's a source else where for it of reliable binaries for casual users. . and I notice 1.7 doesn't exist anywhere either lol. tho its prolly in the repositories as you mention, IF The repositories even exist or are accessible LoL

Touko White

I'm cute, aren't I?
You could always look into the old Git repository, compile it yourself, and then give it to the public.

Anyway, to properly answer one of the questions, because I didn't read it properly: Yes, Intel Atom N270 processor at 1.6GhZ, it runs Mupen64++ perfectly with MK64, however Mupen64 doesn't have a compatible plugin.

LegoManIAm94

I always like PJ64. I tried Mupen and never liked it. And theres only 2 games that don't work for my which is V8 and V8 2nd Offensive :( but theres no emulator as I know that can run V8.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
re cen64: if thats the case, IMO that disqualifies it for Best n64 emu for the mean while(even if it was up and running already), seeing as the best would be dependent on the limitations then to the users pc.
Right and in mine it does qualify, but that is the thing, its all about opinion.

re pj64: if your refering to the repositories from github or something were you need to compile it yourself. . .
No the compiled binary is included.

I notice 1.7 doesn't exist anywhere either
Its hard to find because it was a non free version. Its not all that much better then 1.6 but it does play a few extra games.

jeruka9-san

Rookie Developer >_> <_<
i was see info but no link http://www.emucr.com/2010/11/project-64-17050-beta-23.html
Project 64 1.7.0.50 Beta 23 Changelog:
Redesigned settings dialog to use more modern vertical pages instead of tabs
Plugins can now be set per rom
Added Soft Reset function (resets only game, like pushing reset button on console, default shortcut F1, old Hard Reset now defaults SHIFT+F1).
When app loses focus in fullscreen make sure it is in window mode, should improve stability on fullscreen error messages.
Max cheats per game raised to 50,000
changed how settings is used globally
new setting: allow user to edit VI Refresh rate (see http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showpost.php?p=4457&postcount=18)
changed internal of how settings work
Cleaned up rom browser refresh to remove more unneeded refreshes (Windows returning files in different orders)
re-arranged project source files (please report new errors!)
changed how languages is used globally
optimized writing to ini file
added RDB editor mode and indicator (see hidden settings info)
updated Help menu
updates to video plugin interface for ROM settings
These changes are cumulative since b49 (include all the alpha builds). Does not include minor fixes and regressions between alpha builds.
Note: this build requires updated plugins for the per-rom settings and some other things to work properly, please use all our latest plugins!
i will ad when find
im was find it ^^
i give link soon
here it goes :
http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/T29J8YWF/

Last edited:

Touko White

I'm cute, aren't I?
Didn't even realise 1.7 wasn't free.

Anyways, a quick question: how do I record on Mupen64++? It seems to record only audio when I use it.

malloc4096

quick question: how do I record on Mupen64++? It seems to record only audio when I use it.
I have no experience with it. but since no one else has an answer.. I'll give you my assumption that may or maynot help lol.

only relateable experience i can think of is when capturing video frames from a file, the same thing will happen depending on the video renderer in use. I don't recall witch way worked but for example using the standard Overlay VS a Directdraw filter for video output. . . One or the other causes the issue u describe, so perhaps it could be from video enhancments your enabling or the chosen video plugin itself. perhaps try disabling any enhancmnets first and running it in windowed mode.