Windows 8 emulator?

IdolMechanic1

I am new to this but ive looked everywhere and all I want is a windows 8 emulator for windows 10. Does anyone know where I can find one for free?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Either A, you dont know what you are talking about or b you dont know what you are asking? There really is no such thing is a "windows" emulator of any kind. You don't emulate operating systems (for the most part)?

Possible guesses at what you are asking?

Things like virtual-pc and vmware. You can run an OS in an OS.
Compatibility mode, lets you run application in windows 10, that worked in 8. This is built in to the OS.
DosBox, This does emulate an OS but its more like emulating DOS, and I'm guessing has nothing to do with what you want.

If I struck out here, give us more detail on what you really need to do.

Last edited:

Touko White

I'm cute, aren't I?
This person did the obligatory thing on this kind of board and left after 1 post, so that doesn't help.

Emulating something horrible isn't a great idea. Do XP instead on VB!
And while anyone's at it get xubuntu which is great and easy to use. You can still use higan on it, too.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
xubuntu, is not a wise choice for anyone looking to get in to linux. kubuntu is much better as its closer to windows ubuntu is a good match for mac. xubuntu is a very slimmed down desktop.Albeit all the same OS, the desktop makes a big difference for the new.

Last edited:

Robert

Off topic I l know, but its good to see ya Rob. :D

Yes, it's been a while... :)

May as well stay off topic, since the original post was so ridiculous..

As for Unix variants, I've never tried any of them, and hopefully will never have to. However, with Windows (10 in particular) being so insecure these days, we need an OS that offers true privacy while still as easy to use as XP.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
we need an OS that offers true privacy while still as easy to use as XP.
Your OS's of the future like it or don't are iOs and Android. Windows 10 and what ever is about to come out will be exclusive to desktop computers. M$ is not interested in a snitch special market so they will drop out... Though I do feel we will not see the end of desktop computers for some time, it will eventually go away or price itself out of production. Mobile platforms are taking over and you know this is how it works.

Last edited:

malloc4096

definitly strange, his nick doesn't appear to be something a 9year old would use, and his english doesn't appear to be broken, and he doesn't seem to be pushing any stupid agenda for a product. . .

note to (IdolMechanic1) if you do happen to be young, or just didn't have access to computers growing up, you have an excuse to ignore and even insult me and others making fun of you. . . otherwise what were you smoking?

. . This didn't occur to me for some reason till i started reading the offtopic posts, but perhaps he's just ass backward. . maybe he wants win10 but also wants the stupid app style layout win8 had. so maybe he doesn't want an 'emu' but like a win10 startbar / desktop style configurator mimicing win8 ? . . ironic thing is he's prolly Less secure with win10 LoLz up the wazo

now back OnTopic lol. . .

I haven't used linux ina while. I never used it on a daily basis. I actually only used it for specific reasons, example. . .
- grub for dualboot menu
- gparted
- systemrescuecd
- backtrack ( ? i think is what the distro was called lol ;) )

i briefly tried in the past to use linux on a daily basis. . . But it failed for probably some of the reasons you may of heard before, and I would assume they still have issues with. . this was back around ubuntu ~11, when i think unity was new. tho a side note last I heard modern ubuntu's were getting kinda bloated and with possibly malware, if I'd known better back then i would have prolly simply tried the Long Term Support release of ubuntu v10 for desktop tasks. with everything Iv been threw now tho, I may compile my own from vanilla debian instead of dealing with other distro setup issues.

- there driver support is limited compared to widows, If you have compatable hardware this is a non-issue, but without a recommened hardware list per distro, its kind of hit or miss. . and even if its a hit, Iv noticed it worked for me before but not as fast/efficent as windows drivers, this again maybe hit or miss depending on your hardware.
- installing neccesary drivers / apps isn't to difficault since the distros package managers also find or inform you of all the neccessary dependancies, But I'll admit if something needs to be uninstalled / changed, if its not something the package manager can properly handle its nearly imposible without you going threw enough info for you to be able to compile your own setup from scratch.
- multimedia application compatability, was' if its not still handicapped. . video playback and stuff worked, but it taxed the system so much harder than winXP. . . as if perhaps hardware acceleration or something else was just not working or non existent.
- handicapped or non existant application alternatives, for example Photoshop, Video Editors, games. . . the list goes on.

Linux worked, even worked well, better in some tasks than windows, But Only when I needed a very specific task, and there was a very specific app for it, like "gparted live" for disk managment just for example. . . otherwise i think the linux comunnity handicap themselves with there ADHD approach of constantly splitting distros or 'flavors' instead of making things more compatible / versitile. btw I usually hate when i hear distro's mentioned online cause majority of them are named after hotdogs and cupcakes or watever LoL, tho I guess M$ version naming is also hit or miss and makes nonsense in general.

I don't know as much as I'd perfer about programming, due to lack of purpose/motivation. so perhaps some of u may know better. But my assumptions are, app security gets better in some ways, like some coding platforms might automatically account for and fix buffer overrun senarios, but prolly introduce there own quarks at the same time witch could be exploited. So to a reasonable extent, in the end the majority of security issues in general i assume is still going to be caused from lazy / nonchalant / uninformed coding style. On top of all the other issues that cause things to turn to shit in the economy / society. . . fat cat burocrats pushing the product on top, doesn't care how its coded, they just want it done, sooner its done the sooner they get paid, and the sooner they can get back to there mistress's hookers and haroin. And due to slow or non existent industry consensus or standard enforcement, there will prolly be a gaurenteed opening for potential application security flaws for generations past there point of descovery.

I think there might always be desktops around, because of gamers. . unless mobile or consoles surpass them aswell.

but the biggest security issue for most users I think, is more of a internet security issue vs OS security. . . you could probably have a secure OS, but current web design is inherintly unsecure. . actually forces's average users to open themselves to volnerabilities. . I think theres actually tutorials out there that can come close to completely securiting your system online, But by the time your finished with all the "fixes" the internet is unuseable for casual social net users LoL.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I would instead recommend VirtualBox since it's free software. Just keep in mind if you install a 64 bit operating system in VirtualBox (or any virtual machine for that matter) the actual operating system (host system) needs to be 64 bit as well.

AaronFrorp

Windows 8 emulator

Ive successfully created an iSCSI volume on nas4free. I found it very easy to do. I can connect in windows 7 to the new volume and see it in disk management. When I go to format it I get the error The format did not complete successfully Ive scoured the web trying to find anything out and nothing is helping. Thoughts?

pix07

Re: Windows 8 emulator

what a sh*tty software you use for create/resize/format partition there is few tools best of them :
Easeus Partition Wizard,Gparted,MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition,Partition Magic 8.0.
for emulating windows only :vmware workstation because virtualbox still have bugs as free software.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

what a sh*tty software you use for create/resize/format partition there is few tools best of them :
Ok stop right there. He says he used nas4free which has nothing to do with the partitioning software you recommend. Have a look at what it is first: https://www.nas4free.org

@AaronFrorp No idea on what the problem could be, sorry.

pix07

no ArchLinux ? or Ubuntu ? or even Linux Mint those so far best distributions.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

This is the whole point, he uses it for a specific task, Nas4free is a specialized software where you can avoid installing a full distribution.

KAISY

This person did the obligatory thing on this kind of board and left after 1 post, so that doesn't help.

And while anyone's at it get xubuntu which is great and easy to use. You can still use higan on it, too.

DosBox, This does emulate an OS but its more like emulating DOS, and I'm guessing has nothing to do with what you want.

KAISY

This person did the obligatory thing on this kind of board and left after 1 post FileZilla UC Browser Rufus, so that doesn't help.