Newbe Help Please

wtp

Ok I'm vary green at this and am having a heck of a time to get it to work. I have a pretty cool cab built with a 8" sub with it's own amp, 4 mids and tweeters on there own amp. 19" wide screen/touch screen for the jukebox. 1TB hard drive for Mame and another 1TB hard drive with 228,000 songs for the jukebox. The problem is I spent more time making it look "PRETTY" instead of making it function first. Running Windows 7 32bit. So here is what I've done. I have downloaded MameUI32 .160 and that seems to be opening right. I have downloaded roms .160 and put the zipped folders in mame roms folder. Did a game search, audit, refresh and another game search and maybe, just maybe have 6 games that work. I've download many rom sets with matching roms and have no luck. I am now on version .160. I have read, read, and read and can't seem to figure out whats going on. Came across a thread from somebody else with this problem that said they added bois and it worked. I downloaded .160 bois and put them in the rom folder also. Still no go. I have other troubles to but I will start with this. Please help, I'm bald and have no extra hair to pull out.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Do your options match your rom types? I.E split sets looking for split roms? Sounds like it is just not finding the files.

wtp

Sorry for the dumb question but like I said I'm new so can I ask where / how do I check mu options?

wtp

If your asking in mameui32 under options - directories than yes I have roms pointing to c:/mame/roms

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
If you download the split set, did you audit for split set and did you audit with ClrMAMEpro or romcenter? If all roms check out, then in mame it should also check out. Also make sure to do the disk image files (CHD).

wtp

Do I need the (CHD) and if so do they go in the rom folder also? I am downloading them right now. will look at it more after work

wtp

I'll check back, I still have a day and a half before the chd's are downloaded. I have downloaded so many files I can't keep track anymore. lol

wtp

Well I can't get the chd's it just stopped and don't want to go any farther. I downloaded romvault loaded 160 dat and uploaded it to romvault, put roms into sort folder, scanned everything, clicked find fixes and clicked fix roms. It went through all that. Says 2000 something didn't get fixed and everything else was geen which says it's working. Moved the new fixed roms to mame roms folder. Made sure directory for roms was pointed at roms. Did a game search in mame. Did a audit and the little screen that pops up says most games need new dumb or it said not working. I try to scroll through the games and it wont let me. just stays at a game called 88. I'm running mameui32 .160 on a windows 7 machine. Have .160 roms. Have put bois in the roms folder. Romvault says there good games. I don't get it. I'm about ready to buy a complete hard drive on line preloaded. Found a guy that sells them but I really wanted to do this from scratch on my own. Complete build from bottom to top but and reached the end of my patience. Is there anybody that see something I am doing wrong? Like I said I'm new to this but really enjoy learning but there is a time to say enough is enough. Please help

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
This is all normal. I had the same luck until I found about sites like pleasure dome, closed community for rom sharing. I can't give you the url but search for it. Mame is a pain but learning ClrMAMEpro helps. Though non of that is any good unless you can get good clean roms.

wtp

that is where I got my .160 from. I use romvault instead of clrmame because I didn't really understand it. Romvault has a nice howto on youtube

wtp

Well I got a little upset and deleted the whole drive. Now I have 0.161 downloaded with hyperlaunch and hyperspin. For the most part it at best it KINDA works. If I open a game manually I can get it to work but in hyperspin my buttons and joy sticks do not work. I followed a howto on youtube for joytokey and had no luck. I still don't have a lot of games but I guess I can work on that after I get it to function right. Any ideas?

malloc4096

I don't use frontends so cant say why those maynot work. But mame will probably be fine, if you set it up right.

you can of course configure each game indevidually to have the joystick controller enabled or not. But you could open the root [mame.ini] using notepad or whatever, its located in the mame root directory (were mame.exe is located) and scroll down to the [joystick 0] option and just change it to [joystick 1]. it will then be enabled by default on all games.

If [mame.ini] cant be found in the mame root directory, it simiplly maynot have been created.. to do so, just open Windows Command Prompt [>start/run/"cmd"] and type..
Code:
"C:\path to mame\mame" -cc

the -cc simply means create config

note you can also verify your roms using mame itself if u like,
Code:
"C:\path to mame\mame' -rompath "path\to\roms";"path\to\bios" -verifyroms *>>"path\to\where\ever\mamelog.txt"
or replace the wildcard * with a romname no extension.
this will make the log more readable
Code:
FOR /F %a IN ('dir /B "path\to\roms"') DO (echo.>>"path\mamelog.txt") && ("C:\path to mame\mame" -rompath "path\to\roms";"path\to\bios" -verifyroms %~na>>"path\mamelog.txt")

also note all of these commands and options are listed in mames help files in its docs root folder i think, labeled config, windows, readme, etc.

you could also use the -lc mame switch if im not mistaken to list clones of the rom, if it doesnt operate, perhaps its a version clone and your missing its Parent rom or Bios.

wtp

Mame runs fine it's when I use hyperspin. Everythnig works fine up until it's time to choose a game the my select/start butoon stops working. Works fine in every screen until that point.

wtp

I found out it is working. I'm not waiting long enough. There definitely a problem. Once I choose a game and hit select it takes 11 secs before game starts to load. I checked my task manager and hyperspin at idle in task manager under processes hyperspin is running at 80%. The computer should be good enough to run. It is running windows 7 32bit. processor is a 2.2 ghz and 4 gig memory (usable 2.94). any ideas whats maybe going on?

KAISY

Do your options match your rom types? I.E split sets looking for split roms? Sounds like it is just not finding the files.

I have downloaded MameUI32 .160 and that seems to be opening right. I have downloaded roms .160 and put the zipped folders in mame roms folder. Did a game search, audit, refresh and another game search and maybe, just maybe have 6 games that work. I've download many rom sets with matching roms and have no luck.

KAISY

I have downloaded MameUI32 .160 and that xender discord omegle seems to be opening right. I have downloaded roms .160 and put the zipped folders in mame roms folder. Did a game search, audit, refresh and another game search and maybe, just maybe have 6 games that work. I've download many rom sets with matching roms and have no luck.