Wondering about my PC Build

xernas12

Hi, I want to run games on Dolphin. I am wondering if this PC build would be good to run the games listed below.

Games:
Twilight Princess (GC)
Wind Waker
Xenoblade Chronicles
Smash Bros. Melee
Smash Bros. Brawl

I don't need them on max settings. I just need them to run smoothly.

Build:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 (planning to overclock)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT
RAM: G. Skills RAM 8GB (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive
Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R7 250X 2GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Total: $474.86

Please critique my build and suggest some of your own builds.

P.S. Do I need a sound card for my motherboard?

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
run, then you are good, play, think again.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 (planning to overclock)
You could put this on water and a 3750k will kill it (none over clocked). Emulation is 4 times better on intel.

RAM: G. Skills RAM 8GB (2x4GB)
For emulation you dont need any more the 2GB so get whatever you like.

Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R7 250X 2GB Video Card
Should be fine.

Everything else is irrelevant. Also stay away from i7's, they will not help you and cost more. No emulator uses more then 3 cores so no need to go over 4.

xernas12

run, then you are good, play, think again.

You could put this on water and a 3750k will kill it (none over clocked). Emulation is 4 times better on intel.

For emulation you don't need any more the 2GB so get whatever you like.

Should be fine.

Everything else is irrelevant. Also stay away from i7's, they will not help you and cost more. No emulator uses more then 3 cores so no need to go over 4.

An i5 is around $200 and I am on a budget. Does that mean I should get AMD Athlon x4 860k?

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
The AMD Athlon x4 860k is a great cpu! but Emulation uses intel core technologies to preform faster. Even emulators going far back (except for mame) prefers AMD. Mame makes two versions, one for each. If you want to play at good speeds you must go with an Intel chip set. If you can not afford it, you will always be fighting the (why can't it just go a bit faster!!!). I gave in 4 years back and will never emulate on an AMD again. I had that AMD monster up to 5GH stable and when I got the 3750k it out preformed it at the stock voltage.

Last edited:

Corey4666

Very biased opinion of me but go with Intel. :)

I had AMD pc's last 10 years or so. My i5-4670k is probably the happiest I ever been with a PC. The last time I could say I liked and AMD processor was when the Athlon 64 x2 came out.

xernas12

The AMD Athlon x4 860k is a great cpu! but Emulation uses intel core technologies to preform faster. Even emulators going far back (except for mame) prefers AMD. Mame makes two versions, one for each. If you want to play at good speeds you must go with an Intel chip set. If you can not afford it, you will always be fighting the (why can't it just go a bit faster!!!). I gave in 4 years back and will never emulate on an AMD again. I had that AMD monster up to 5GH stable and when I got the 3750k it out preformed it at the stock voltage.

Could an i3 4150 with an MSI Radeon R7 250 X video card be able to run Xenoblade okay?