Emulator Problem: PCSX2 1.2.1 PROBLEMS

doskido

First of all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post emulator issues-- as I am new and have registered to seek help for my problem.

I've tried to play three different .ISO files with PCSX2 1.2.1: Shadow of the Colossus(USA), Shadow of the Colossus(EUROPE), and Shellshock Nam '67.

My problem is: basically the games run like shit. The audio is cracking and choppy and the games run slow as hell (not necessarily lag but almost like slow-motion). I've searched the web for solutions but haven't really found anything helpful.
I'm beginning to think the problem might be that PCSX2 is incompatible with AMD video cards. Either that or it's flat out incompatible with Windows 8.1 (which wouldn't surprise me). Here are my specs:

AMD Radeon R9 X270 4GB
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T Processor (6 CPU's) 2.8 GHz
16GB RAM
MSI MS-7693 Motherboard
Windows 8.1 Professional

I know they're not the best specs, but let me know if y'all have any suggestions. Thank you!

Last edited:
Ah... I understand what your problem is, and it's not your video card.

PCSX2 doesn't play nice with AMD CPUs. It runs like absolute shit on them. With my CPU, clocked at 4.0GHz, it lagged. So 2.8GHz will not work. Your card is fine, since I use worse than that (R9 270, not X edition), and I've never had GPU problems (I can run 16x MSAA, and it doesn't effect the game speed)

Also, PCSX2 is only 32Bit, so 16GB of ram won't help you. :/

Best I can suggest, is making yourself a second PC, with a super clocked 4 core intel processor. That'll run PCSX2 fine.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
YUP, rid the AMD stuff. Emulation needs Intel based CPUS. Always have.

doskido

Ah... I understand what your problem is, and it's not your video card.

PCSX2 doesn't play nice with AMD CPUs. It runs like absolute shit on them. With my CPU, clocked at 4.0GHz, it lagged. So 2.8GHz will not work. Your card is fine, since I use worse than that (R9 270, not X edition), and I've never had GPU problems (I can run 16x MSAA, and it doesn't effect the game speed)

Also, PCSX2 is only 32Bit, so 16GB of ram won't help you. :/

Best I can suggest, is making yourself a second PC, with a super clocked 4 core intel processor. That'll run PCSX2 fine.

At least my N64 emulator works. I might as well just buy a PS2 if I want to play the games that badly, Haha. Thanks for the help!

Corey4666

Keep the internal resolution to default on the video plugin.

Audio can be fixed by messing with some of the settings, I forget which ones but changing some simple drop box options show noticeable difference.

I ran games on pcsx2 in full HD on a older AMD processor, You should be able to get it going. I had a Phenom 9600 @ 2.4ghz. I played FFX @ 1024x768 in fullscreen. Looked just as good as the real ps2. I also played Resident Evil outbreak file 2 with 1080 with 2x Native scaling. No speed hacks.

Lastly, I am sure you know this already. But it's the processor's low clock speed holding the emulation back. Can you overclock to 3ghz - 3.2ghz?