Need opinions on OS software

emurookie

Im working on a dedicated emulator pc for hookup to my tv but I am still a little lost on the OS. I have been reading forum after forum and got a mix between Linux, Windows 7, or Windows XP. Im not sure which would be best, I have heard that windows has stopped support for XP, and im not very familiar with Linux but willing to learn if its the better of the three. Need some help here.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Win7 will give you the best compatibility with emulators. Xp is sort out dated now but still does its job. Xp also does not have a real 64bit os and finding drivers is a pain. Linux is not the right choice if your not used to it. I have many computers and I run all 3 OS's but use Win7 for emulation.

Last edited:

down51

well, you know. I still use Windows XP for emulation.. it works great.

Robert

You'll need to look at the requirements for each emulator. If you're planning on running any really old ones, they may not run on 64-bit. On the other hand, a few new emulators are only released in 64-bit, and you'd need to compile the 32-bit version for yourself. 32-bit would most likely provide the best balance, assuming that all your emulators are ok with it.

As for the OS, Windows 7 is fine, XP is fine for 32-bit (there is 64-bit XP around, but I've only seen the server version). Never tried Linux, don't know anything about it.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
There is no such thing as too much, that is solved by syncing the game to video or sound. Every 32 bit emulator I have runs fine on win7 64 bit os. The problem is running a 64 bit emulator on a 32bit os, I wont happen.

JanineTietz

Go for 7, it is best, when it comes to support and updated softwares. You do not need linux, it is more for technical guys, then for professionals.

jeruka9-san

Rookie Developer >_> <_<
for gaming of course 7 for emulators xp linux is good but often have junk software without compatibility if something work on one version not work on other windows builds are optimized if you want true gaming choose windows if you are nerd or like open source choose linux that is your choice

jeruka9-san

Rookie Developer >_> <_<
technical for me sounds like enginer so know what do how fix what use
profesional(programer/administrator) know what he/she want get what use and how do best choice for own machine
tell me "No" if im wrong
my opinion is they are not often because sometimes theynot know all things about used machine

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
^^^ wow, that is some crazy typing man, I really didn't follow any of that?

I was just funnin with JanineTietz, there. I get what he was trying to say though. Linux is not really good for the average user that knows a bit about computers. Though its great for anyone new to computers if set up right. For example Android, android is linux in many ways. Look how well it did for the android phone. The main issue with linux is that there are so many flavors of it. Linux also has a lot of advantages over windows but gaming is not one of them. My home server is Linux, my phone is Android but my gaming rig is windows...

Dailenth

Windows 7 for now is the way to go. Windows XP used to be great but It's very outdated, that doesn't mean that it can't play emulators.
Just avoid rubbish like Windows Vista, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.