Is 7zip and emulators here

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
7zip is actually a link to the official site, we offer no actual download. Also it's one of the most used, open source, file compression programs in the world. I've been using it for years and no viruses so far from it.

As for the emulators, we check them for viruses but that does not mean that you are free to not use an antivirus on your own PC.

If you don't have one already, a few I can recommend are Miscrosoft Security Essentials and AVG.

malloc4096

If your concerned as much about the topic as I am. This is what i do..

# Create a Backup IMAGE of your OS (operating system) partition / drive. If your unfamiliar with Backup Image creation, Clonezilla is probably one of the easiest and free applications to start with, i use command line apps, but one would assume there website would probably also answer a lot of common questions.
# Use a Firewall with Logging capability. I create a disallow ALL by Default Rule on all Ports / Protocalls / Applications, and then Allowed Rules for only selected applications and ports, simple example would be to -Allow Mozilla Firefox.exe TCP ports 80,443 and on windows -Allow DNS svchost.exe UDP port 53

I personally do not use anti-virus. I feel its like taking your car in for preventative maintenance, where you don't know the people or what they are doing. where as creating a Backup Image of your OS, is like having a clone of your car in the garage as Backup ready to go instead. And if any application violates Firewall rules, it will be logged.

ontop of that, I tend to trust Portable apps more than Non-Portable.
Portable apps - can just be extracted / unzipped and run
Non-Portable - require you to go through an installation dialog

.zip are usually portable, .exe is sometimes portable because they can sometime also be simply extracted with 7zip, in which case it may just be a self-extracting exe without an installation dialog requiring Admin privliges.

I personally don't yet have experince with the example I'm about to use, but its the best i can think of at the moment, since I recently downloaded some Emu's I've never used before, and pre-emptively heard about some peoples complaints of pj64 (project 64) containing adware.

If you have or had taken a DL and look at each of pj64 versions, the old ones were portable zip, that later changed to self-extracting zip, and the gap from 2002 -2005 changed to an Installer, and then theres another large gap in release from 2005 - 2013, so I would guess thats the time frame adware was implemented. and as you can see the Unofficall Netplay release uses a non adaware older portable version.

2012-11-03 Project64k_0.41.zip unoffical netplay support version

2013-05-01 setup Project64 2.1.exe
2013-04-01 setup Project64 2.0.exe
2005-04-01 setup Project64 1.6.exe
2002-08-29 pj64_1_5.exe
2001-12-25 pj64_1_4.exe
2001-09-01 pj64_1_3.exe
2001-07-23 pj64_1_2.exe
2001-06-09 pj64_1_1.zip
2001-05-26 pj64_1_0.zip

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I personally don't yet have experince with the example I'm about to use, but its the best i can think of at the moment, since I recently downloaded some Emu's I've never used before, and pre-emptively heard about some peoples complaints of pj64 (project 64) containing adware.

Project64 2.1 is currently bundled with TWO additional programs. The first is Instar Surf and the second is YouTube Accelerator.

During the program installation people are given the option to skip both of these programs and just go ahead with just the emulator, sadly many less experienced users do not do that and just install the extra software by just clicking the "next" button.

This is also one of the reason why we do not have it on the site right now.