Emulator Problem: SNES9x won't run roms on Window 8.1

1-up Legend

I just got a new laptop with Windows 8.1. I have the latest version of SNES9X which I believe is version 1.53 when Ii first got it, I couldn't open it because it said a .dll file was missing. I downloaded Direct X which fixed that issue but now that I can open the emulator it won't run any roms. When I load a rom file it does the usual showing that i've loaded the rom but then the screen remains black. I never get to play the game. I first thought it was just running super slow but when I activated the option to show the framerate, it's running at it's proper speed.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
common guys read his posts... He does not have dll issues, he just cant load roms and although I agree don't suggest another os. If he is asking about 8, then help, if you can't, keep your opinions to yourself. Especially for new comers.

1-up Legend, hang in there you may get a suggestion yet, I personally have no clue on this one. If you don't here sounds and don't here video, it sounds like a bad rom but I gather you have tried a few?

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
If I remember correctly, Snes9x can use different display methods like OpenGL, and DirectDraw. Those settings can be found in Video -> Display Configuration. Im not sure if that will fix any sort of problem though. I would also try changing the way it renders sound by going to Sound -> Settings... From there you can change it from Direct Sound to OpenAL.

Hope im not too late to suggest.

Oh, and you might also want to try to running it in Windows 7 compatible mode.

Last edited: