How do I use my Sega Dreamcast controller via USB Adapter with NULLDC? nothing works

blazin109

I have the Mayflash Dreamcast USB adapter a Sega Dreamcast controller (original/official). I calibrated it but in NULLDC it detects the controller but i cannot map any buttons using it! when i press something it automatically changes the button mapping to "-A2" if i hold each button down while pressing to map then it changes to something different (looks proper) but the controller still doesnt work when i play a game! HELP, i could only make it work with my keyboard but i wish to use the dreamcast controllers, ive tried youtube videos but nothing works, help plz

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Its a may flash issue. The analog 2 negative is reading movement even tough its not. You should be able to fix this by calibrating in windows. If not then you have to use something like xpadder.

blazin109

Its a may flash issue. The analog 2 negative is reading movement even tough its not. You should be able to fix this by calibrating in windows. If not then you have to use something like xpadder.

i'm using windows 8 i am going to try in windows 7 shortly. i believe i calibrated the controller correctly, I'm trying out Joy2Key since xpadder doesnt work in windows 8. i wish i can get my dreamcast controller working with the nulldc emulator

blazin109

i'm using windows 8 i am going to try in windows 7 shortly. i believe i calibrated the controller correctly, I'm trying out Joy2Key since xpadder doesnt work in windows 8. i wish i can get my dreamcast controller working with the nulldc emulator

i just tried it with windows 7 and the callibration was more correct as it showed the Z axis moving instead of in windows 8 where it would not move, anyway it still doesnt work with nulldc, any suggestions? i tried xpadder and it detects my dreamcast controller but whenever i try to change the settings nothing works on xpadder either. its like it doesnt let me use it, i am using windows 8 x64 and xpadder in windows 7 compatability mode since it wont work in windows 8. the xpadder is not working properly, it doesnt show pink screen at start it doesnt load any controller pictures to map..absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
i wish i can get my dreamcast controller working with the nulldc emulator
Dont by may flash junk (LOL did I type that out load ?). Really though there are much better DC adapter out there. See my Sig for one of the best.

So windows 7 has the same issue, and you calibrated it?

blazin109

ok i figured out how to use xpadder but the buttons still dont work in nulldc but its getting improvement because i can now map the joystick but nothing else....EDIT: i just managed to get it working, i used xpadder and mapped all the buttons properly with the keyboard and then in nulldc i checked to use the keyboard only and then i typed the same buttons in which the controller buttons were mapped with xpadder..and now it works flawlessly!! jus gotta get the other 3 dreamcast controllers working! thanks for ur help even if it was nothing much bros, i love emulation

Last edited:

frostedsquid

Whoa what are the chances?

My new boxed DC controllers arrived in the mail this morning and I have been trying to do exactly the same thing and having the same problems. I got as far as using x360ce to make them appear as xinput controllers, and everything would be fine except it registers the stick as moving left constantly even when there is no input. Same issue I guess. That was where I got pissed off and gave up just now. So I did a google search and found this thread, great I thought. Then I noticed that it was from today! What are the chances haha, I was trying to do it at the same time as you. So anyway I will try xpadder, The only thing I was worried about was if it will be be a problem that the stick is binary cause its mapped to keys instead of analog response? Is that likely to affect any games negatively?

I ordered rumble packs and VMUs for the controllers... I had dreams of using them all just like an original dreamcast with an emulator, but now with all the trouble I have had just trying to get a damn controller to work I assume there's no way to do that... Will the rumble packs work at least? The only VMU thing I see is for a g27 keyboard which I happen to have, except its on my desktop and the emulator is running on a living room box.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
May flash does not support cards. the only adapter I know of that does is the Bliss-Box. At the moment VMU does work but there are no emulators that have a way to talk to it.

The only thing I was worried about was if it will be be a problem that the stick is binary cause its mapped to keys instead of analog response?
You would have to map the analogs and in game deal with the off set pull to the left. Windows calibration should fix this?

frostedsquid

You would have to map the analogs and in game deal with the off set pull to the left. Windows calibration should fix this?

Its an odd problem. It is calibrated correctly in windows gamepad settings, and the problem doesn't happen there, the calibration works as it should and then the stick stays centred and it doesnt pull to the left in the windows test thing. But when I use NullDC, it pulls left. The raw data from the controller in windows and x360ce (numerical values) show that the stick is centered perfectly and there is no left pull, while at the same time its registering left in nullDC. this kind of makes me think its nulldc, all its controller setup is dodgy and half broken, with any controller. When i calibrate it with the windows dialog while the game is running, it fixes the left pull and in nullDC is stays centered, until you move the stick again in any direction. other buttons work fine but the moment you touch the stick again it registers constant left pulling. If i hold the stick slightly to the right in nulldc it does stop, however the raw data and windows config both show that im pulling to the right when i do it. I tried it with a snes emulator and it didnt pull left, it picked up only the buttons i pressed when i configured the controls and it worked fine. Unlike button config in nulldc where it it instantly registers -A2 whenever you try to set a button. So im guessing the controller drivers in nulldc are just broken?

Last edited: