What is best to run emulators on?

SNK4life

Hello. I'm new on the forums. I was just curious what system is wbay to run emulators on? I want to run primarily sega master system thru n64. Mame and neo geo are most important to me. I used to have a modded Xbox 1 and it was great but it's been years. I have 5 kids now and need something that will play everything without issues and allow for controllers and joystick support. It has to be PC or console as I am not looking for handheld. So what is best not just power wise but comparability and options?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Most console emulation setups are going to involve time and reading. PC based emulator are very easy. The list of consoles you asked for will work on any 1G cpu, like the kind of computer you bought in 2001, with the exception of MAME. AS for MAME its best to get the latest and greatest CPU. So There is no real answer. Any computer 2G or more will play most MAME games fine but MAME keeps growing and the system requirements grow with it. IMO any over the counter computer will fit your needs, just make sure to get a nice video card. On-boards video cards are bad, nvidia or ATI ($100-$200) video cards are good.

SNK4life

Ok so right now I have a brand new laptop it's the newest toshiba satellite. If I have the funds would something like an Alienware work better or top of the line asus? I want a dedicated gaming machine my laptop I use for work. Mame is most important to me for arcade games is there a good joystick out there with awesome buttons and controls it's comparable with like a hori or snk?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Ok well remember MAME is always in development. If a game does not run right its not always your computer. Though the best bang for the buck is the best bet for MAME. Yes Alienware's are great but remember you do pay for the name. If you look at what goes in to it and match that up else where its the same thing but $500 less.

TIPS

1) All emulators you mentioned do not use more then one core, so do not get more then 2! If this system is for emulators its a waste.
2) You dont need more then 2 gigs or ram AT ALL! Again for emulators.
3) CPU is the most important, Although AMD is fine for MAME and the others I always recommend Intel. The faster the better, Intel chips preform better then AMDs but cost less.
4) Any decent VGA is ok IMO on a laptop. but run it by us just to be sure.
5) Desktop computers will always be a better choice then a laptop. Just saying...

SNK4life

Ok do you have a PC you can recommend that's already set up at best buy for sale? One that you would buy if you were me? I don't want to build a computer I am not that savvy. Eventually I will want to build an arcade cab but for now just PC that will connect VGA to my flat screen tv.

SNK4life

Also I was wondering the only PC I find in stores all have windows 8 is that ok to run things or would a Mac be better? I can't find anything with windows 7 and vista is a ram hog I hear

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Asking a computer guy to pick out a prebuilt computer is like asking a vegan to pick something from McDoanld's menu.

The best OS right now for emulation is windows 7. Windows 8 is about to get rebooted and completely trashed anyways. Mac's are ok but I don't know much about them. The only way to go if you dont want to build on is to use a custom option.

example: http://www.pugetsystems.com/configmenu.php

Again you dont need a mega system for this, but if you plan on playing more intense emulation you would want a better system.
I tried a low cost cust build on this page
http://www.pugetsystems.com/nav/serenity/Professional/customize.php
but 16xx is the best I could do, if you built your own it would be $500 less.

Another idea would be to search for a used computer.

Laptops are a different deal. They are pre set by model numbers, here is a list of nicely priced laptops to get your needs met.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=4937

BTW:One thing you may consider is a big HD, because MAME takes up a lot of space if you like full sets.

Last edited:

SNK4life

Ok and for a PC with use on emulators what is the best joystick to use for mame stuff and neo geo and Capcom games?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
LOL, you asking me ??? I'll make it short...

If you are a true gamer like many of us and really like to feel the game the way it was intended, click on my link.
If you are mildly in to games, most people like that xbox thingy.. wireless 360 pad, apparently its easy to set up under windows.

I'm not the right guy to ask as I'm heavily biased, not only is it my project but its way better playing with the original hardware.

SNK4life

Where is your link? I am heavy into 2-d fighters and shooters as well as arcade games. What do you use? Money isn't an issue.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I still have to warn you, you may be too addicted to it ;) Click he big banner that says Bliss-Box. You will find links to the forum and facebook sites. The main page has a lot of info on it.

My domain is up and down today, not sure what is going on.

Last edited:

SNK4life

Ok so this plugs into the USB port on my computer and then I plug the corresponding original controller into the slot and just program the input inside the emulator to each button? How much are they?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Kinda depends on what you want and if you can wait. Price talk is not allowed in here, so try a PM but..

The production version is going to be very affordable.
The current all-in-one is not priced for the average user.
I also have singles and custom build.

If you need to know more detail you will find my email address on the about page, or just use the FB account.

Touko White

I'm cute, aren't I?
For a PC:

Windows 7
Intel processor (I think i5 is probably the most favoured by many)
64-bit processor, because of mupen64plus and dolphin require this, and a few others I believe do, as well
A card that handles OpenGL and DirectX pretty well, because GL is getting more common than DirectX...

----------
Disable your antimalware system because it might make stuff lag a bit, when you play, but usually differences are not really noticeable unless you're running a really high-performance emulator. (also some companies think emulators are the devil and try to make out they're trojan horses when they're not)
--------------
I mainly recommend 64-bit because it can handle more memory than 32-bit, most PCs are 64-bit nowadays...
--------------

Last edited: