Emulator Problem: Walking slow in zelda games using Project64

FaeFern

I've recently switched from Mupen to Project64 because the new update on my computer finally enables me to use Project64. I love it, and the graphics on Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are way better with Project64 than they had been with Mupen (The sky, ground, select buildings, the entrance into Hyrule, and other background features were all glitchy). However, the controller works better in Mupen.
In Project64, Link walks incredibly slow, as if I'm only tilting the joystick far enough down for him to sort of shuffle along even though he should be in an all-out sprint. I don't really care about sensitivity, all I want is for him to run. Everything else works great, and the joystick doesn't work slow for any other game on any other emulator, including other games I play on Project64. So I get the feeling it has to do with calibration settings in relation to the actual rom, or the expectations the rom has for my controller. Something to the effect.
Anything would be of help here, as long as I can get him to run. I don't have enough patience to deal with link walking, especially while I'm getting chased by boulders.
Other information:
I am using a Mayfly controller adaptor and an original n64 controller that is in perfect shape. I take very good care of my games, especially the overused ones.
I am using Windows 8, so I don't have that 'usb game controller' section in my settings or control panel. So, please, don't sugest that.
I have searched the internet, and several forums, for information on this. But the only clear answers people have given is the above mentioned. I don't have that option... If there was a way to install that option, I am not opposed. So long as it works, and doesn't put a virus on my computer.
Thank you.

I tried posting this before... but I don't think I did this right. So if this is a duplicate (I tried to make sure it didn't go through first before trying again) I apologize.

FaeFern

Never mind, y'all. I discovered a way to solve this problem. For any who were curious, it was by taking the input plugin from Mupen and using it in Project64. Link still walks at certain, odd angles, but in the main four directions, he will run. Also in some diagonals.
And for some reason, ever time I tried to go into the subscreens, my emulator locked up and recommended that I restart the emulator. I'm not sure exactly how I fixed that, but I played with the settings on the Graphic's Input Configuration a whole lot and it's good now. The last thing I remember doing with it before it started working was mess with the ratio size in window and in full screen. I think that particular problem was due to high memory usage... or something. In any matter, it's now fixed.