help with bsnes/higan

guru8bit

The only problem I'm noticing is that I can't quickload games from a .bat file that then I need to convert to an exe, which is the only thing that Steam can add to shortcuts. Also, it seems like when I try to load something, the emulator just isn't seeing my .sfc files. Maybe the first problem is connected to this one, but I really don't know.

Is there something special I need to do to make it see my roms?

Last edited by a moderator:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Do you need the bat, the emulator is command ready. bsnes c:/myfolder/smetroid.scm.

"Is there something special I need to do to make it see my roms? " Oh... yeah,, crap its been a long time. Let me find the answer for you.

Last edited:

guru8bit

Well, it needs to be in an exe, if that command works for that too I guess it would be okay too.
Do I need a BIOS maybe?

guru8bit

I'm not sure I understand this. Do I need to use Higan or bsnes? Because Higan runs fine without any other files, but I can't figure out a launch command to make it open with a game already loaded in it.

Nevermind, just found out that Higan is bsnes' final name. Though still nothing on the quickload side.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I'm not following you, sorry. I have never used steam, I do everything from a front end so maybe this is why I cant follow you. Can you re explain the problem another way perhaps?

" a game already loaded in it"<- dont follow that at all?

Last edited:

guru8bit

Sorry, I'm not english and from time to time I just mess up entire sentences.
Basically, when I was using snes9x, I used a file that when executed, started snes9x and the game I wanted to play. And this is the only way I can launch the emulator with a game from steam, since Steam only reads exe files (i used a program to convert my bat file to an exe).

Higan runs fine, but I can't do the thing I described above anymore, the only way I have to launch a file from the emulator is to select it from a list that pops up everytime I open the program. What I need is a way to either use a line of code that executes Higan and then directly loads a game in it without me choosing one or a way to start the emulator with the game I selected when I clicked an .sfc file.

Right now I've tried setting Higan as the default program to open my SNES roms, but when I click on an .sfc file, only the emulator opens up and I need to load a game in it myself.

This is what the bat file (or exe) looked like when I used snes9x:

@echo off
start "C:/snes/snes9x.exe" "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/snes/Super Mario World (USA).sfc"

And it worked. But with Higan, nothing happens.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
This is what I'm saying. Higan will run from a command. I dont know if you can specify a string or not? If you can here is the string

"C:/higan/higan-accuracy.exe C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/snes/Super Mario World (USA).sfc"

if you need a bat just do the same thing

@echo off
start "C:/higan/higan-accuracy.exe C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/snes/Super Mario World (USA).sfc"

I know it works I'm doing it right now.

BTW: why are your slashes the wrong way? / vs \ ?, and why double ""s ?
"c:\folder\emulator.exe c:\folder\game.sfc"

TIP: maybe its the long files name. some emulators will not work with long files names and need the short 8:3 naming. Let me know if you need help here.

Last edited:

guru8bit

I'm trying it now and for me it's not working.
If I put everything under only one "" nothing happens, if I put the two files in two different "" at least the emulator starts.

I believe the slashes work either way you put them.

I think there's something wrong with the .bat code, but I just can't figure it out...

EDIT: Can't make it work from CMD. But that's probably because I have no idea what I'm doing with that.

guru8bit

I can only get a response from the emulator with this syntax:
@echo off
start "C:/higan/higan.exe" "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/snes/smw.sfc"

the problems is the same as before, emulator starts, but with no game.

And the shorter names are not helping.

guru8bit

The .sys folders? It's still not working.

6Rpr1.png

It's not that the games are not working, if i load them separately they play just fine, it's the part where I try to cut the manual game loading that is not going as it should be.
Also, if I move the .sys folders, the games don't start up even if I load them manually.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
No just the rom files. I'll take a screen shot for you.

This is the folder my roms ( games ) are in, even though they dont show up. What you see in this folder are all the bios files for higan. You need then all in there.

( NOTE TO ALL: I can supply you the roms, you have to find them yourself )
( ADMINs, afaik mentioning the name of a rom is ok, as long as I dont post a link back? )
higan.JPG

Last edited:

guru8bit

I'm not really getting what I should use those roms for. As I said, the games not appearing in the list had been solved when I downloaded Higan from the official page.
The games work if I load them manually, my only problem is that I can't open the emulator with a started game in it. Every time I open the emulator I need to select the game I want to play, I just want to cut that and just make shortcuts for every game.

Also, I just can't find those files because since they're not used in the current version, all the pages where you could download them are not available anymore.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Thats ok, I know this is hard to understand at first. And its not you, and not me, its higan. They just do weird things.

First let me just say this.
------------------
The normal ways

c:\emulator emulator goes here
c:\emulator\bios bios goes here
d:\roms games here

higan way

c:\emulator emulator goes here
d:\roms bios goes here
d:\roms games here

That screen shot I took is all the bios files you need to use higan. You need to put all of that in the same folder you have your snes games in.
---------------------

Now if you run a command like I said above, ( c:\....emulator c:\...game ) it will do nothing if you don't have it set up like I just mentioned.

Again, all I do in my set up is run a command. The emulator comes up and the game starts. No selecting of games is needed. If you follow me, and understand what I said, it will work. I will not give up trying to help you and relies its sometimes hard to figure this stuff out.

You said create a short cut? Please be more specific. Do you mean a bat file for each game, because a short cut may not work right.

Last edited:

guru8bit

Okay, now I have my emulator in C:/snes and my roms in C:/roms.
In my roms folder I have every bios I need.

Now, I need a way to create a Bat to launch the emulator and the game at the same time.

this:

start "C:/higan/higan.exe C:/roms/smw.sfc"

is not working, and:

start "C:/higan/higan.exe" "C:/roms/smw.sfc"

is not working either.

A .bat is the only way I can do this.

(not sure if changing HDD as you did in the post before is essential, at the moment I only have C: in my pc)
Edit: (tried putting roms in D:/roms. Not working.)

Edit2:I tried doing it with Bsnes 0.91 that I downloaded from http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/bsnes.html
With this version, even if i have a /bios folder inside my emulator folder and all the bios are in there, I still can't see the game when I go to "Load". Not sure why, I'm pretty sure I did everything right.

Edit3: Also tried bsnes 32bit, just to be sure. Same thing.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
ok, lets do this... Please dont take this insulting its for my understanding.

Do a directory listing on C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/snes/
If its more the 100 files, then sort by intention and show me the first page of files.

also ( assuming this is xp or win7 ) go to the run prompt and put in exactly quotes only where put them.
C:/higan/higan.exe "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/snes/smw.sfc"

if that fails try this.

run the command prompt ( cmd )
at the prompt do a
cd C:/higan/
then do a
higan "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/snes/smw.sfc"

Tell me if that works?

Last edited: