MP3s VS CDs

Is there a difference between MP3s and CDS?

• Total voters

Mourgos

In Greece cd piracy is a super huge illegal industry,so most greeks buy cds almost for free.Personally I prefer being illegal than being ripped off by the music industry.

Badger

On a cheap midi system, with limited equaliser functions, I really don't notice that much difference (if any) between Mp3 (even 128kbs) and CD.

On my own amp and speaker set up, I notice a large difference between mp3 and cd.

However for most lo-fi music I prefer vinyl. But don't have a decent record player, so it sounds a bit poo. My friend however does have a top notch record player and I just think music sounds so much better on it.

J

Jet Set Willy

Vinyl is much warmer, but too much of an inconvenience.

El Fugitivo

With some music, even sub-standard bitrates sound fine. I've got a 96kbps mp3 of Nico's "These Days" from the Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack that sounds absolutely wonderful.

J

Jet Set Willy

MP3s have roughly the same effect as a low pass filter. If the music is already dulled enough (common with crunchy synth/organ stuff - "Everything in its Right Place" for example) then low bitrate MP3 is gonna be just fine, and only noticeable on infinite frequency sounds such as cymbal crashes.

M.H.A.Q.S.

I hate low bit rates, you cannot get a nice quality sound out of them.

My old Kumar Sanu songs are encoded at 56kbps and they just don't appear to play at all. No sound, I mean I hate the sound quality.

J

Jet Set Willy

I download a Phish song yesterday and it turned out to be encoded at 64kbps. Nasty.

<><>

Why would you hate VBR? It only makes sense, at least in theory. Why encode at a constant bit rate while some portions of the music might be much simpler and cover a much narrower frequency band?

J

Jet Set Willy

'cos he heard the term somewhere and decided to drop it in.

M.H.A.Q.S.

I have alot of MP3s encoded at variable bit rates and whenever i listen to them, there is a lack of something. I don't know what but its awful to hear.

Codeine

Surrrrre, Mr. Google.

Anyways, I can't really tell THAT much of a difference if I'm playing a C.D on my speakers and an mp3 that are the exact same, because, my speakers are shite. And I am not playing them on my C.D player, they're even worse since the wires are all fucked up and they don't work sometimes. I need a great new sound system for my room, and conviently, Christmas is juust around the corner B)

<><>

Originally posted by M.H.A.Q.S.@Dec 3 2003, 10:38 PM
I have alot of MP3s encoded at variable bit rates and whenever i listen to them, there is a lack of something. I don't know what but its awful to hear.
That doesn't mean much about the encoding type. It could be the codec you are using, and/or the settings for VBR. VBR is a sensitive thing you know... it's like making love to a beautiful badger. First you got to make sure you have the right tools and then you have to 'turn and twist and bite' the right nipples.. uh... knobs, to make sure you got everything set up just the way you want it. Ice cubes: check; hot wax: check; ben was balls: check; Lame encoder, with VBR --aps settings: ceck; Donna Summer's 'I love to love you' check...

AngeloL

I vote MP3s..
Why pay when u can get same quality for free?..MP3s at 320kbps are same quality as CDs that u buy from stores, I don't see the point. But then again maybe that's because I'm such a cheapsk8 lol..

J

Jet Set Willy

No they're fucking not.

You'd better start being less stupid, and start typing properly, or you'll be laughed out of here.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
I voted for MP3's because there free. As far as ripping CD's and burning MP3's to CD goes, I don't know a lot about it. I just know that it works.

AngeloL

Hey WazWaz, wtf is ur problem?! I've only been here a short while and I already can see dat u r a jerk. U have been pissin off da admins n shit. If u hate it so much, leave! If u dun wanna hear my opinion, don't fuckin participate in a forum then. And it aint ur fukin business how i type stupid.