How long until an emulator box for PS2

shadowscape

How long until there's a portable and affordable box you can put under your TV, hook up a controller to and emulate all consoles before the 7th gen. Aka a box that can play GCN, PS2, Xbox, and all consoles before it. Because Ouya, from what I know, isn't powerful enough. By affordable, let's say <$100 and by portable, let's say the size of a PS4.

I know it's always possible to have a PC hooked up to a TV, but perhaps, I'm moreso talking about a more advanced version of the Ouya, a small cheap PC or a powerful linux box with an app that can run PS2 games.

I could save a ton of space by having the PS2 GCN Xbox in one small box. Question is, when will it happen?

I'm not expecting anytime soon. My guess is 5 years from now.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
LOL for $100, keep dreaming. Computers are still the best option, many console can do the job as well but lots of modding to do it. Java based systems are just not powerful enough, mainly because they dont have to be. Your best bet is a very small computer, with a very powerful chip and GPU. Though at those speeds you need more air displacement so they dont get small.

shadowscape

LOL for $100, keep dreaming. Computers are still the best option, many console can do the job as well but lots of modding to do it. Java based systems are just not powerful enough, mainly because they dont have to be. Your best bet is a very small computer, with a very powerful chip and GPU. Though at those speeds you need more air displacement so they dont get small.

Well, if we were talking about this year, I would agree. If we are talking about 5 years from now (who knows, even 3?), then what you're saying will likely be irrelevant.