Emulator Problem: I want ePSXe to run very fast, e.g. at 300+ FPS

Squall83

Hello everyone,

until before I bought a new and considerably faster PC I was thinking "if you don't limit the FPS in ePSXe it goes as fast as your PC allows", but that doesn't seem to be the case. Final Fantasy VII runs at 120 FPS no matter what I do.

My computer's data:
- 4-core 2.8GHz
- graphics card with 1GB RAM and 192 CUDA-cores
- Win XP Home 32 Bit
- 3GB RAM (normally 8 but on 32 bit windows there's a RAM limitation, i.e. 4GB minus graphics card's RAM)

- ePSXe version: 1.7.0
- Video: Pete's OpenGL driver 1.76 set to "fast" (tested both in fullscreen and window mode)
Note that choosing to use ePSXe 1.9.0 and/or Pete's OpenGL driver 2.9 results in the game being stuck at the regular 60 FPS.
- Also I choose to play using an ISO, because it's a lot faster than a CD.
- Even when I just stand around on the world map doing nothing the FPS won't increase

Is there a way to make ePSXe use up more of my PC's resources? When ePSXe is running in "fast" mode, it seems to barely touch my resources at all (Taskmanager says 1-2% of the CPU and GPU-Z says 1% of the GPU Load).

Regards
Squall83

Hectic

Have you got v-sync turned on? If you're limited to 120fps, that tells me that your emulator is synced to the refresh rate of your monitor (and your monitor is 120hz).

Why do you want it to run in excess of 120 fps anyway? Surely the most desirable position is having an emulator which runs with the least system resources possible?

Squall83

V-sync is turned off, i.e. under Config/Video/Configure Soft Video Plugin the "Wait for VSYNC [...]" is deactivated and I didn't find anything else related to V-sync. My monitor is at 60 hz.

I want it to run faster because 1) Grinding and 2) Skip through dialog more quickly.

Hectic

Is "use FPS limit" switched off too? What happens if you select deselect that and switch the FPS limit to 200 (as opposed to auto-detect)?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
A great emulator to grind through with is pSX 1.13, if you want to give that emulator a go, Ive gotten it to where it goes over 200 frames.

Squall83

Hectic: Yes, I did deselect it. Setting to 200 FPS changes nothing.

Mupen64 Man: Thanks a lot! This one's going to be my PSX emulator from now on. Easily installed, no restart if you want to change the graphics, and the FPS rate is between 220 and 320 FPS if I hit the backslash key. Perfect!