games dont have it anymore or am I old?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
This one has been done over a bit but never on a good emulation board IMO. I think anyone that uses emulation has respect for all generations of gaming so here we go.

This guy opened it well, so I dont need to go in to detail. read the opening post here.
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/old-games-fun-todays-games-boring-27080318/

I'm almost 40, so to me nes and atari was a big deal. Playing games from atai to PC games to me was like living a alternative life. I really got in to them and love games that exercised me. My mind, my coordination, my reaction, my imagination... We all had favorites, sports, action, adventure... and we all wanted better sounds an graphics. To say otherwise is a blunt lie!

Also I will admit lots of those games from 80/90 hit home with me. They were very much part of my life, I still play zelda, metroid, kid iccaris , and mario follow ups. I'm very much a nintendo fan boy I will admit that but back then it was Nintendo or Sega. Now its just muc, Nintendo is the only company left with its own characters as the rest are just console for companies to make games for.

So my rant is just this, like that OP said in the link above... Games today are more about graphics, cut screens, animation, and textures then game play. I felt this once XBOX merged on to the scene. I dont blame m$ and I also dont like them. Just like I hate the fact alternative music killed 80 glam/metal bands. Though out with the old in with the new I get it. It was a software giants turn to play its hand in the gaming console world. I dont really think m$ is the reason for all of this, rather simply part of the puzzle ( competition ). So now we have 4 big name console systems.

The Problem, non of them had an original idea of games accept for Nintendo. Sure crash was an icon but none of these companies had what Nintendo did. So lets see here;
sega: the dream cast died.
play station: received lots of success for the awaited ps2.
Nintendo: received lots of success for the awaited game cube.
Xbox: the new guys, big hit!
Now for games we had to choose a console, not many of us could afford this all? So what to decided on, well more frills and best cpu/gpu right? This was the paradigm shift right here...

The shift. You were either a Nintendo guy/gal like me or you just wanted the system that offered the most stuff. DVD, hackable, graphics, or what ever. Lets face it GC was slowly loosing the battle, hence they branched off to invent the wii-mote. When they were done the other consoles just up's to the next generation with better graphics where the wii only had a new controller.

So now here we are with the wii-u and all the other wonderful consoles all competing for who has the bigger *****. For me I felt it all started in 2002 or so. There were no games that just hit me that were fun anymore, Its all the same thing but again that original post in that link says it best. The only entertainment I have found in the last 10 years Nintendo had to offer.

Punch out: Have you guys played this? Wow! that game is incredible.
Zelda: Never a dull moment, sure some games like MM were dull-ish but better them most games
SMB: the new SMB is a smach hit IMO.
Metroid: Sorry, not a fan, very saddened actually. I didnt like that FSA ( first person adventure ) style at all and other M was just another hand holding story. Neither created by Nintendo though I believe. But I here many people dig the prime games

So, for one I'd like to here your rants. Remember this is not a battle or argument, we all have our opinions ;) I just want to here yours.

also, recommendations for emulate-able games welcome! I'd like to play a fun game besides Nintendo.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Wow, thats deep, and I really get it, and to be honest, what you think is basically how I feel. Now its all about the latest in graphics and looks, and less about the gameplay or how fun it really is. Nintendo is the only one that seems to release games that I want to buy. Nintendo seems to be the only company that goes out of its way to try something new. Playstation and Xbox can have their petty "battles", while me and Nintendo will be having a blast play Super Smash Bros. The only thing that I really disagree about is about that little part about LoZ: MM. ;D

EDIT: I hope other people will weigh in on this topic, great potential for discussion here. :)

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Oh noooo, quite the opposite! I thought that you weren't that big on Majoras Mask, because it happens to be my favorite game. ;D Oh, and I am playing Twilight Princess for the first time on the Gamecube. :)

Corey4666

I'd have to say video games lost there appeal largely to me, after the n64, ps1.

also, recommendations for emulate-able games welcome! I'd like to play a fun game besides Nintendo.

I could recommend a few maybe you would like.

Ps1 - Xenogears, Vagrant story.

Sega - The revenge of Shinobi, Altered Beasts.

PC - Battle for Wesnoth *multiplayer or single player*

These are few but very good games, you may not know about.

Panteroxid

The future for retro style games are digital platforms, Steam has loads of indie games that give tha main focus to gameplay, and many of those have been ported to ps4, Sony has been going big for indies in ps4 and Vita, I think there are games for everybody, even if what you see in the mainstream are always graphics and visuals