Retro Gaming on CRT TV

DeanoGamer

Hi Guys!! I was hoping to get some advice on a topic that I have been struggling with.......

A few years ago on my old PC I had a graphics card that had a S-Video out on it, This enabled me to buy a special S-Video - RGB Scart cable to hook up to my old CRT TV (It had to be a special scart lead because otherwise I was getting a black and white picture) So I purchased this special cable from the USA

It was a fantastic setup because as we all know, Retro games look their BEST when played on an old-style television!! and I had all my emulators running without the need of filters like "Super 2?SaI" etc

Anyway, here I am years later with a much better PC and modern graphics card, however the card doesnt have an S-Video out! So I was wondering what if this can still be done? and what cables/gear I need to buy to hook up my DVI out on my graphics card to my old CRT TV?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well its all the same really you just need to adapt hdmi to what ever you like. Just search ebay for what you like or go to a local wall mart or radio shack.

Hectic

Hmmm. I didn't think it was so straightforward. For the TV to accept a PC signal, you have to convert the video output to 15khz down from 31khz. Most LCD displays can switch automatically, whereas most CRTs can't. You can get device drivers which will output at 15khz, but if memory serves me correctly, they are hacked AMD drivers only (and flakey at that).

Without some form of software to convert your signal, I think you will get sync problems.

edit: see here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm

Last edited:

Hectic

Ah, now one of those will of course do the necessary conversion. I misunderstood where the thread was heading. You can buy DVI to scart cables, but I wasn't sure the OP was aware it wasn't quite that simple,

DeanoGamer

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies!! I bought one of these cables (you'll have to enter the w w w bit) ebay.co.uk/itm/200794554145?var=500078071194&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Anyway, I was most upset that it didnt work! All I get is flickering! I tried all different resolutions as well as making sure I kept the refresh rate at 50hz (Im in UK)

So I just wondered if that box above that you sent will do the trick?

DeanoGamer

Hey guys! was just checking out that box! But it seems like its for converting a S-Video signal to HDMI??........ but what I am trying to do is hook up the second DVI output on my graphics card to my old CRT tv (Scart in)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Last edited:

DeanoGamer

Oops sorry! I didnt realise it posted!........ I just did a search and found some boxes that convert hdmi to analogue, but cant seem to find any that convert DVI to analogue! So I am guessing I will need an adapter to turn the DVD into HDMI so that it can THEN run through the box?

stubby42642

i baught one fo those cords too, didnt work for me either. but i did find a converter on ebay that does the trick. its a VGA to RCA conversion kit. costed me like 15bux.