Emulator Problem: Unable to run the Fusion emulator

Darkfire249

I'm not sure whether the BIOS file I dumped from my Genesis is broken, or if I got a bad copy of the emulator, but whenever I try to run the Fusion emulator, nothing happens. The emulator sits on a blank screen without doing anything, even when I try to run a game. If anyone has the answer, please reply.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I try to run the Fusion emulator, nothing happens. The emulator sits on a blank screen without doing anything, even when I try to run a game.

If you can try to run a game then the emulator must have done something, or you would not have a menu?

When you run fusion does a screen come up with a menu? Is so the emulator is fine.
When you open a rom the window should display the game, if not it could be a bad bios or game. Is the window contents black or the entire screen?

If I were to guess I think the bios is bad.

Also the emulator shows "snow" in the window when started up. That is snow as in TV snow, like in the antenna days. If you dont see that it may mean a bad bios.

Last edited:

Darkfire249

If you can try to run a game then the emulator must have done something, or you would not have a menu?

When you run fusion does a screen come up with a menu? Is so the emulator is fine.
When you open a rom the window should display the game, if not it could be a bad bios or game. Is the window contents black or the entire screen?

If I were to guess I think the bios is bad.

Also the emulator shows "snow" in the window when started up. That is snow as in TV snow, like in the antenna days. If you dont see that it may mean a bad bios.

Well, when I open up the emulator, all I get is a blank white screen with a small menu bar at the top. Trying to run a ROM does absolutely nothing. No black screen, no snow, no error message, no nothing.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Yup that is not right. Try deleting Gens.cfg, it often gets corrupted.

If still an issue you need to check your video card out. Try the Gens32 Surreal emulator. it has the most comprehensive video options. This can help narrow down the problem. Did you try to get a new bios because that can still be the issue.

Hectic

I think there's a little confusion here. Try deleting your config file (can't recall what it's called, but most likely kega.cfg or fusion.cfg) and restart the emulator. Ulaoulao is referring to the Sega emulator 'gens', which upon loading shows the same static snow as Kega Fusion, hence the confusion.

Darkfire249

Well, that would definitely create a lot of confusion. And I deleted the .cfg file and nothing happened after I reconfigured the emulator. Just the same white screen. No static, no snow, just a blank white screen.

Hectic

Some other users have reported this on the dark mystics forum. I'm on my phone, so can't check the exact name. It appears to be a bug related to having vsync enabled when switching between modes. Have you got it running in full screen with vsync enabled by any chance?

Hectic

In your video options, there should be a vsync option (also may be called 'lick to refresh rate). Try unticking or ticking that (depending on how it is currently set). If it is not present, open the cfg or ini file in notepad and look for vsync. Set it to 1 or 0 depending upon the current setting.

Also, if you have a video card, go into the control panel for that (Catalyst Control Centre for AMD cards, NVIDIA control panel for NVIDIA cards (duh!)) and ensure vysnc is disabled there and not forcing an application override of vsync. Then try again and report back. It's an odd problem you have here.

You could try a different emulator, like the aforementioned Gens... If I run an emulator and it behaves in a manner I do not expect, I switch to something else.

Last edited:

Darkfire249

Vsync is off on the emulator, and I have no clue if I have a video card. My laptop is unmodified, so unless they come with one pre-installed, I don't. How would I check if I have a video card?

Hectic

Ok. Try switching it on in the emulator and try again. It sounds like a bug to me, because vsync is a process whereby the emulator refreshes the picture at the same rate as the TV. With it off, you get the tearing effect you see in-game. It shouldn't result in this 'white screen', but it's the only thing that cropped up when using my Google-Fu skills.

What laptop is it, out of interest?

Darkfire249

I think it's an HP Pavilion m6. And it doesn't seem to make any difference whether vsync is on or off on the emulator. My graphics device (that seems to be what it's called in the HP Support Assistant program) is an AMD Radeon HD 7660G. Is that the same as a graphics card, or is it different? Honestly, I'm not that great at all the technical stuff and don't know a lot of this stuff.

Hectic

Right. That AMD device is your graphics card. I think we may be getting somewhere.

Have you got Catalyst Control Centre installed on your computer?

If yes, see if vsync is enabled in that software (you'll find it under 'all programs'. Tick or untick and try again.

If no, go to AMD's website and go to support or downloads, or whatever and go through the drop down lists to select your system and card. It'll go something like Operating System, then series (select 6000 series), then select your actual card device from the large list it will give you. Download the software, run it and try again.

I'm beginning to think you may have generic vga drivers installed, which would possibly be causing you a lot of unexpected behavior.

Darkfire249

Is the Catalyst Control Center a free-to-use program? I don't have any funds to buy anything, I'm completely broke. And all the drivers I have on my computer are the default ones that were on it when I bought it. I have no clue how to update drivers, so I don't bother trying because I'm too afraid of messing something up.

Hectic

Yep. It's part of AMD's driver suite. At a guess, I think your problem relates to generic display drivers. Go to AMD's support site, download the driver suite and report back.

You won't break your laptop. If you select the wrong driver, it simply won't install.

Last edited:

Darkfire249

Alright. I just wonder why the Fusion is the only one of my emulator I can't get running. I'll try your suggestion and see if it worked. If not, I'll probably just have to switch to a different emulator.

Hectic

Who knows. It might not work, but it's good practice to have up to date drivers anyway. Different emulators have different requirements and behavior. For example, Supermodel, a Model 3 emulator glitched badly with AMD's drivers up until recently. No other emulator suffered like that as far as I know. It may be that Kega Fusion is simply incompatible with your existing driver. The reasons are endless.

Darkfire249

Alright, currently downloading another file that an error message says I need before I can run the Catalyst Control Center. I'll try and see if this works. Will I need to close out any other programs before running the Catalyst Control Center?

Hectic

Nope. Just download your files. Run and install, then reboot your machine and try the emulator again. If that doesn't work you might want to consider getting a new emulator.