Perfectly smooth NES emulation?

ratpimples

So far the smoothest scrolling I can find in a NES emulator is Virtuanes by setting the resolution to 60hz . But it's a tiny bit off and I see tearing. Anyone got any suggestions?

ratpimples

JAPPsmash said:
Try FCEUltra. It's smoother too. VirtuaNES is less compatible.

what settings do u use for fceultra? resolution/refresh rate/triple buffering/vsync? i couldnt make it as smooth as virtuanes

Jale

Here's my video config...

nuevo38lt.jpg

ratpimples

these emulators can be perfectly smooth

zsnes at 60hz
fusion for genesis
mame
visualboy advance at 60hz

so far no NES one. :dry:

ratpimples

JAPPsmash said:
FCEUltra is smooth enough on my P4 2.4 GHz and 256 MB RAM DDR :msn_confu

i dont think it has anything to do with pc power.
its not as smooth as the original. example: go through the first stage of super mario bros. and watch the background go by. you'll see a tear go from the bottom of the screen to the top. Like it's just slightly off sync

james

I know I'm resurrecting an ancient thread here, but I put a lot of work into nemulator to solve this issue. The jist of the problem is that, when writing an emulator, if you choose to sync to the computer's video, you can have issues with audio (distortion/skipping), and if choose to sync to audio, you can have issues with video (tearing/stuttering frame rates). Most (all?) emulators choose the latter method.

In order to fix this, nemulator syncs to video but dynamically adjusts the audio playback rate to stay in sync. The end result is perfectly smooth frame rates with minimal impact to audio (you may hear a slight shift in tone when the audio frequency needs to be adjusted).

If anyone else is annoyed by this problem (and/or if anyone from this thread is still around!), I'd love for your feedback on how well this works on your pc.

http://nemulator.com

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Your emulator should be on Emulator-Zone in a few minutes (if all works out!) so you may be getting a few more hits at your site :)