Next Gen Emulators (xboxOne, Playstation 4)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Once again we approach the release for the next generation of consoles, the Xbox One (November 22, 2013) and Playstation 4 (November 15, 2013). This means that just like last time with Xbox 360 and PS3, more than 7 years ago, there will be several sites that claim that they have emulators that allow you to run games. You should not believe that.

Trust only sites that you know (such as us!) and be sure that if such an emulator is released you will know about it first hand. Do not fall for scams aimed to trick you into installing a fake program that could very well include viruses.

Ps: Be wary of PS3 and xbox 360 as well, there are many fake sites and even videos on youtube claiming of such emulators. An example of a working PS3 emulator is RPCS3 which is able to run some simple homebrew games.

testmachine

Old member
There are already some websites claiming to have actual emulators of XbOne and PS4. But, if anyone stumbles upon these websites (I'm not gonna link them), please be aware that they are full of trojan viruses.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Since when are videos legit? Videos are the easiest way to create smoke in front of mirrors.

TheMS

Creating fake video's is surprisingly easy. There's lots of editing tricks to make it look real. What looks like gameplay can also be a video that was just edited on top of a black screen. Again, if there was a real one, you would most likely find it here as soon as it is released.

TomHardyBoy

There's already an open-source software development project on SourceForge for a Playstation 4 Emulator that claims it's the world's first project, and calls for 150-200 developers to get a beta working version on Windows and Linux before 2017(I emailed and that's what the project manager said).

LuciferSam

There's already an open-source software development project on SourceForge for a Playstation 4 Emulator that claims it's the world's first project, and calls for 150-200 developers to get a beta working version on Windows and Linux before 2017(I emailed and that's what the project manager said).

Yes, but this emulator it is in pretty alpha stage. If you visit the sites of the fake emulators you see a perfect emulator where you can "play" flawessly with Halo 4 or other games.

And if you look the links, you will find yourself into a survey download site.

Be vigilant, folks.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Yes, but this emulator it is in pretty alpha stage.
What did you expect? They have to start somewhere. TomHardyBoy points was not to encourage people to be gullible but rather to understand the real emulators do exist and will not just magically go from concept to final. Though most importantly he is letting people know an emulator is in the making.

Devdraco

It is also important to note that it takes a few years playing around with data to determine whether or not the emulator is stable enough to release. It is also glaringly easy to spot fakes. (Sneaky "placements" of videos, etc.")

Cocoloco

Don't next gen consoles have x86 architecture ?
I don't think the games made for Xbox One and ps4 will be emulated on pc .Thanks to the similarities between pc and next gen console hardware architecture I think they will be ported to pc not emulated under a compatibility layer. This should be true for Xbox One which I believe uses an modified version of Windows 8 .With ps4 is a different story as it's os is an modified version of unix.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
It would stand to reason that you statement would be true. The first console that I know of to use x86 core technologically just so happens to be one console that never got emulated well.

There really is more to it then the core CPU, emulation is not really software that runs on an OS, being it xbox, or ps4 it still is a proprietary unit. Not going to go in to detail because it has been done countless times but simply put, if it were easier we would have a xbox emulator.

Sylux102

Citra and 3dmoo are legitimate 3DS emulators currently in development. Also, Xenia is a legitimate Xbox 360 emulator in current development. Although all of them are early in development and are very slow with a small amount of compatible titles.