Xbox Emulation Progress

PaulG

It's good to hear that the Xbox1 emulation is still being worked on. It must be a buzz as a coder when you get something even small working that youve been coding all weekend!

I used to program 68000 machine code back in 1990!

which xbox1 emu is having the most development now?

discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheNewJoe97

Re: Xbox1 Emulation Progress

I was reading this and thinking "What the....? the xbox one hasn't even been released, never mind Emulators!" then I clued in and thought "Dang, he means the Xbox Original!" anyways, I personally think running Newer emulators extremely tedious, I haven't really seen any production as far as xbox emu.. but i am in fact gonna check it out, as a youngster i had an xbox, ps2 and gamecube, and something always drew me more towards the xbox. yet the ps2 did have some decent titles

Infernal Paimon

I'm not sure, but I believe, according to the Emulator Zone itself, there are three different XBox Original emulators. Those would be Cxbx, Dxbx, and Xeon.

I have no idea what you mean by having the most development, as there are many ways you can to measure the quality of an emulator.

First, Cxbx, isn't an emulator per se. It is more of a porting program. It's main function is to port XBox games to the PC. Unfortunately, development seems to be slow, and the last blog post on the news section of their site is from 2009. However, Blueshogun's CXBX dev blog seems to be updated and now I really recommend checking out what Blueshogun has to say about this.

Second, you have Dxbx. It's been on hiatus since November 2011. At least, that's what the website states.

Last, but not least, you have Xeon. I really have no idea about this one, because I'm most interested in CXBX now.

Personally, I would love to help, but I have an absolute zero talent in coding. I seriously try hard to learn programming, but everything I do, I forget it in 10 minutes.

To develop an emulator, you would require a large team of talented coders. Some emulator developers have been lucky to have them (note, the Dolphin Emu Team and the PCSX2 Team), others, not so much.

Last edited:

melodicwhirl

No way that Xbox one emulator will be released in near future , we are looking at 5+ years imho

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member

It's good to hear that the Xbox1 emulation is still being worked on
I dont think calling the xbox box an xbox1 is wise as it sounds to close to the xbox one.
Why in the h4ll m$ decided to choose such a dumb name is way beyond me but they did.

blueshogun96

The Old Kid

I'm not sure, but I believe, according to the Emulator Zone itself, there are three different XBox Original emulators. Those would be Cxbx, Dxbx, and Xeon.

I have no idea what you mean by having the most development, as there are many ways you can to measure the quality of an emulator.

First, Cxbx, isn't an emulator per se. It is more of a porting program. It's main function is to port XBox games to the PC. Unfortunately, development seems to be slow, and the last blog post on the news section of their site is from 2009. However, Blueshogun's CXBX dev blog seems to be updated and now I really recommend checking out what Blueshogun has to say about this.

Second, you have Dxbx. It's been on hiatus since November 2011. At least, that's what the website states.

Last, but not least, you have Xeon. I really have no idea about this one, because I'm most interested in CXBX now.

Personally, I would love to help, but I have an absolute zero talent in coding. I seriously try hard to learn programming, but everything I do, I forget it in 10 minutes.

To develop an emulator, you would require a large team of talented coders. Some emulator developers have been lucky to have them (note, the Dolphin Emu Team and the PCSX2 Team), others, not so much.

Okay, I know this thread is old now, but I thought I'd add some useful info for those who haven't heard yet.

The XQEMU project is making some good progress. It successfully boots the Xbox BIOS (not all bios revisions are compatible yet), and is capable of launching the XDK launcher along with some XDK samples. No commercial games yet (that we know of), but so far it's the best progress made towards a *proper* xbox emulator. So far, it works best on MacOSX, and even though it has been ported to Windows and Linux, it tends not to work as well on those OSes. Lastly, it's not a user friendly implementation (get your terminal ready), so if you're looking for a click 'n play solution, forget it.

Also, Cxbx IS an emulator. It doesn't *port* anything (i.e. this isn't a magical process). Cxbx uses a form of static-rec, and emulates *most* functionality on a high level, implementing it's own version of an Xbox kernel. Pushbuffers and privileged x86 instructions have to be emulated on a low level. I'm saying this because I see people quoting this for YEARS without knowing the intricate details of what makes this thing actually work, and how much work it actually took to get what was seemingly harmless x86 code running natively on a Windows machine. To quote caustik himself, "It's not like saying gas+engine=car. Try telling that to those who actually built the thing."

Shogun.

EDIT: Sorry I haven't been around in so long. I've been spending much of my time on my full time job over at Amazon and pursuing other potentially profitable endeavours, so that's why I've been MIA so often. :(

Last edited:

bombdrop64

so i guess we are not going to a an orgxbx emu anytime? since we haven't seen any progress.