Emulator box questions

woozie

Hi!

I want an emulator box that can play Nes, Snes, Neo-Geo, Gameboy Advance and N64. The thing is, I don't want a bulky pc next to my tv. So, what are my options? Can I emulate these consoles on something like a PS2? I also thought about emulating on a Raspberry Pi, but I don't think it can take N64. One more thing: can you play 2 player games on your emulator boxes? I remember I had a TMNT game that I loved playing it with another player.
Also, I see you mostly recommend old pc's for emulator boxes, but most of these only have VGA out. How do you connect them to a tv?
Thank you!

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Raspberry Pi does not do n64 well yet at all. I dont know much about consoles doing the emulation but I know those are all supported on an xbox or ps2. I think a laptop would be a better bet because most 1Ghz + CPU's will do all of those well. You will not benefit from a multi core at all. Most all laptops have a video out. Just get something with a nvida in it or similar. If that price tag is too much then i'd go with a ps2.

Last edited:

Johno2518

Yeah, Windows 7 64-bit or 8.1 64-bit work well. Especially on new hardware which usually has either DisplayPort or HDMI. If DisplayPort, you can get DisplayPort to HDMI adaptors. If you want something slick instead of a standard PC case, I would recommend a HTPC with decent specs ;)

Johno2518

The difference between Win7 and 8.1 from an application perspective is very little. So I guess it comes down to how the emulator was written.

gulfam ali

I want an emulator box that can play Nes, Snes, Neo-Geo, Gameboy Advance and N64. The thing is, I don't want a bulky pc next to my tv. So, what are my options? Can I emulate these consoles on something like a PS2? I also thought about emulating on a Raspberry Pi, but I don't think it can take N64. One more thing: can you play 2 player games on your emulator boxes? I remember I had a TMNT game that I loved playing it with another player.
Also, I see you mostly recommend old pc's for emulator boxes, but most of these only have VGA out. How do you connect them to a tv?
Thank you!:fuckyou::my_santas

ParabikMiGaw

When I emulated with PSXfin, the better PSX emulator, I just used illegal ISOs, to be honest. Even if I had the disk, I didnt dare put them in my PC unless I had to.

So its up to you.