2 Players Playing a Singleplayer Game Online

Slimpack

Is there a way for 2 players to play a single player game with Netplay? Me and a friend think it would be fun to play Suikoden II online, but I don't know how both the client and host can control player 1 on the ePSXe emulator. Are there are any emulator (playstation or otherwise) that have this feature? I found a thread that talks about how to do this on an NES emulator but I'd more so like to do this on an SNES or PS1 emulator.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
no, nor would it be possible? If the server had two sets of commands for the same player what would it pick? If you had a way to give control to one player at a time it would work but that is not really a common feature in an emulator. This would be more like a special request. Maybe I missed your meaning?

montpics

I thought the same way as yours ulaolao. It's nearly impossible to let 2 players to control one and the same.

Slimpack

no, nor would it be possible? If the server had two sets of commands for the same player what would it pick? If you had a way to give control to one player at a time it would work but that is not really a common feature in an emulator. This would be more like a special request. Maybe I missed your meaning?

No, you understood correctly, that's pretty much what I meant. so both players controlling Player 1 at the same time is impossible, but are you saying that it might be possible for the client and host to alternate back and forth between controlling player 1? if so, then that would pretty much be what I'm asking for. hm, It's too bad it's not a common feature in emulators. Is there some way I could make it happen? (particularly using a PSX emulator, since most of the games I'd like to play in this way or PSX games)

montpics

While you two trying to understand it, I found one pretty interesting thread found from the other forum. Hope that one would help you out, Slimpack. :)

>CLICK HERE!<

Slimpack

using two controllers to control 1 player is uncommon. Co-op back and forth is not. Are you saying you can not do that? Give us some details how it does not work.

Sorry I haven't been able to reply in a while. Also I appreciate you guys trying to answer my questions.

to answer your question I'm just not sure how we would be able to do Co-op back and forth online with a 1 player game. when you start netplay with epsxe the host always controls player 1 and the client always controls player 2. so for a 1 player game only the host is able to control anything. It would'nt surprise me if there's some obvious work around to this that's common knowledge already, but if there is than I don't know what it is.

While you two trying to understand it, I found one pretty interesting thread found from the other forum. Hope that one would help you out, Slimpack. :)

-link-

Thanks for the reply. I've seen this thread before but I don't know if it talks about the questions that I'm asking anywhere on it. I haven't read the whole thing from beginning to end though.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Ok lets put this another way.

mario brothers: this is a 2 player game, but when its the second players time to play you hand off the controller to the second guy. ( at least I think that how it was done )
In this case you both use player one. Both of you would set up on player one and net play would more then likely block the other guy until its his turn to play again.

Contra: this is a 2 player game that allow co-op. You both play on the screen at once.
Some emulators set players to who connects first or maybe can be specified. Both clients are set up as player one but the server figures out how is going to control player 2.

now you said "Is there a way for 2 players to play a single player game with Netplay?" So based on how I explained it above that would be like saying can I play mario brothers in one player mode ( mario only ) and have two controllers operate him. Like example one without the blocking. Could it be done, yes but you need to add this as a feature in netplay and no one would do that as its not practical. So to pull this off you need to modify the net play code.

Last edited:

Slimpack

Ok lets put this another way.

mario brothers: this is a 2 player game, but when its the second players time to play you hand off the controller to the second guy. ( at least I think that how it was done )
In this case you both use player one. Both of you would set up on player one and net play would more then likely block the other guy until its his turn to play again.

Contra: this is a 2 player game that allow co-op. You both play on the screen at once.
Some emulators set players to who connects first or maybe can be specified. Both clients are set up as player one but the server figures out how is going to control player 2.

now you said "Is there a way for 2 players to play a single player game with Netplay?" So based on how I explained it above that would be like saying can I play mario brothers in one player mode ( mario only ) and have two controllers operate him. Like example one without the blocking. Could it be done, yes but you need to add this as a feature in netplay and no one would do that as its not practical. So to pull this off you need to modify the net play code.

Oh ok That's too bad. I couldn't modify the neplay code of an emulator myself. Thanks for answering my question though. At least it didn't turn out to be something really simple that I was overlooking.