Emulator Problem: Retrolink USB N64 Controller - "reconnects" a lot during play

elninost0rm

Hi all!

I couldn't really do it justice in the subject line, so thanks for reading.

While playing games on Project64, my new Retrolink USB N64 controller randomly "reconnects" (makes the "new device found" beep in windows) if I hit a button too quickly or during mashing. During this reconnection period, input is disabled, so it's obviously ruining quite a bit of my speedrunning ability as it often cuts out when I'm doing something important, etc.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you think it's the controller or something in Win7? Project64? I have no idea because it's sort of a hard question to Google, unfortunately.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Ill wait till UlaoUlao answers this question, he is the controller man. If he doesn't respond within a day, I recommend sending him a PM. :)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
You have a bad usb cable. The issue could be in the adapter( loose connection) or a pinched usb cable. Looking at all possible options its remotely possibly its the usb port. That can be tested with anther usb device. For a way to test the cable just wiggle it and see it that makes it happen.

Last edited:

elninost0rm

You have a bad usb cable. The issue could be in the adapter( loose connection) or a pinched usb cable. Looking at all possible options its remotely possibly its the usb port. That can be tested with anther usb device. For a way to test the cable just wiggle it and see it that makes it happen.

Thanks for the reply!

I thought this might be it, so that means that the cable on the controller is faulty. :(

I noticed that it happens a lot more in one of the front USB ports, but that's because those ports are "horizontal" whereas the ones in the back are vertical. It happens a lot less on the vertical ones, so I suspect that the increased pressure is causing the problem on the horizontal port.

That being said, it still happens on the rear vertical ports. Why would it only happen from pressing buttons too quickly? I'd think it wouldn't be related, but I'm pretty new to this stuff (emulation, controllers, etc., not PC hardware).

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try a different (and perhaps slightly more expensive) brand.

I don't think it's the ports themselves, because I've been using devices in those without issue.

But yes, wiggling the cable at the connection end causes the new hardware beep almost constantly, so that has to be it.

elninost0rm

Also, any recommendations for a decent controller that is as close as possible to the authentic N64 controller? I'm not paying ~$200 for a new one, and there's a reason the used ones are so cheap.

I really don't want to lose the 'Z' trigger on the back of the controller, as I'm wayyy too engrained on using that for SM64 (long jumps, etc).

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Why would it only happen from pressing buttons too quickly? I
Creates a small vibration down the cable would be my guess. The best option is a usb adapter. Get the real n64 off ebay for $3 and find an adapter that support your needs. Of course I recommend my own adapters I make ;) $35 for a single port, that and I will replace cables if they go bad. PM or email to find out more, follow sig for info. Lots of cheep option out there though.

elninost0rm

Thanks for the info!

I went ahead and bought a refurbished authentic N64 controller from a reputable website that apparently puts new sticks on all the refurbs (which is what everyone cares about anyway). I got a USB adapter off of Amazon which high marks, so it should work well.

Splurged a bit more on this whole thing than I wanted, but you can't replace an authentic N64 experience!