Help with building a new pc for emulation.

runedj4

Hello i would simply like to know what you think would work better

An
I5 series either the ivy bridge or the haswell (iffy on haswell as it has higher temptures and if not all that much faster)
HD 7750
8gbs of ram

or an

Fx-8350
8gbs of ram
Hd 7750

I have the rest of the stuff ram,psu,hdd etc, i just want to know what you guy think.

will be getting a gtx-660 later on no matter what build what do you guys think, now for this i have heard amd runs fine that is why I am asking this, as i will also be editing and if i can get an amd fx 8350 that will be some great speed over the i5 in editing. but i just wanted some second opinions. and your guy's experiences with AMD and intel.

Last edited:

runedj4

100% speed and minimal slowdowns. on most emulators from NES to dreamcast to gamecube to ps2

And i am asking about amd becuase its not as much of a hole burner and i have had good experiences in the past.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I myself don't have much experience building PC's meant for emulation, Ive mostly made them the best I can within a budget and hope for the best, but in general Intel processors and Nvidia graphics are recommended. You could probably get away with good results with AMD, but graphics tend to be better on NVidia as far as emulation goes, even though I am an ATI fan myself.

runedj4

I see, well from what i have seen so far, some of the emulators depend on single threaded performance and favor Intel, but i keep hearing the fx series is have good luck with the emulators guess ill look up some real life benchmarks on youtube, but i am leaning towards the intel i know the gpu weather i get a 7870 ot a 660 it wont matter much their performance is almost the same.

Just really interested in the new fx series might wait for their next release them upgrade. but meh just wondering what experiences everyone had around here with the amd and intel respectively.

Do you use AMD or Intel?

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I love AMD, it has never done me wrong. Mind you, this is just my own personal opinion.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
no... AMD + GC ='s bad!
100% speed and minimal slowdowns. on most emulators from NES to dreamcast to gamecube to ps2

There is only one way to do this. Get a 3750k or better CPU. the i7 will not help you, save the money. Make sure to buy a MB that is rated high in overclocking. Get a nice video card like a 660ti and over clock the cpu to 4.6 or 5.0. You may need a water cooler to hit that range. I have 4.6 stable on air ( got lucky ). If you dont want to Over clock you can not play dolphin at full speeds with high-end games. AMD will work for most emulators just fine but AMD is not good for dolpinh. The ps2 emulation is getting very fast now but intel chips are still better for it.

tips, more then 4gb( even 2gb) in ram will not help you. Also more the 4 cores is a waste for emulation.

Last edited:

runedj4

I did say i would be doing video editing too : D but thanks for the opnoion that was what i have been thinking it was along those lines ^.^

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Sorry missed that, actually I didnt read your post ( ashamed ), yeah i7 for sure for editing and go for more ram. haswell is a bit new to tell yes... Go i7, you will not be disappointed ;)

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
hey just remember this. Dolphin takes advantage of the technologies in intel. I was an AMD fan till this year. It was really important for me to get dolphin up to speed. I went from an AMD clocked to 4.0 running near %60 on zelda sws to the intel not even clocked over yet at 3.4 and ran zelda at %90. So even if the steamroller is a monster you still suffer because dolphin is not written to take advantage of what AMD has to offer. Best of luck to you!

runedj4

Found something awesome for amd users seems Dolphin x64-r6515 will run better on amd then the latest one, i have it at 720p with no slowdowns and minimal skiping (with an A8-8320 2.9 GHz and a Hd 7750) so its seems it me be more then doable with an Fx 8 core, and it'll let me get a better video card. so it also seems amd will do better in editing and ill be able to upgrade ot steamroller so i may go for amd unless i can get a really good deal on an I5.

BTW if you dont want to read the brick wall of text i said it seems Dolphin x64-r6515 works better on amd for some reason. even my A8-8320 2.9 GHz and a Hd 7750 can run most games at 100% with minimal slowdowns though only at 720P.

Edit:meant to say 3.0 Ghz.

runedj4

Seems good though amd newest APUS can emulate ps2 and GC fine not sure about wii, so if you have anyone looking for budget here show them to the proper version of the emu and some of amds new apus XP

like i know intel is better for Emulation because of the better core performance, but dont be afraid to recommend an apu for emulation on a budget. I have seen some really good results for as good as a budget build can get, my friend and me have been testing his pc with an apu and have some promiseing results. though the i5 is the best choice unless its for rendering or editing too : P

But only reccomend the latest APUS and the A10

also the chart i found their has some really good amd results xP
https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=DA2FE7FDA6EB085E!107&app=Excel&authkey=!ALQ0-tZv6Pc_h84

Oh course it pales in comparison to haswell but amd will not be able to compete till about excavator if all goes well, i really dont want one company having monopoly over the cpu market.

Last edited by a moderator: