VBA/VBA Link File Type Issues

Kelranox

So, I'm playing through Pokemon Yellow and really want to trade my Pikachu over to another game in order to evolve it, I can't just load the same save file of Yellow into VBA Link because you can't evolve it in Yellow, which puts me in a situation of either playing through Red or Blue just to get to a point where I can trade, or downloading someone's save file. I don't want to take the tedious route, so I decided to seek out save files hosted online. Unfortunately, none of the files I've found have worked; they're either unsupported filetypes, or unsupported versions. I have the 1.72 LAN version of VBA Link and I've no idea where I would start looking for compatible saves with roms that would be compatible with that. Yet, I realllly don't want to tediously power through Red just to ditch the game after the trading is over with. I believe the exact error I get in terms of the version is 'unsupported version 9'.

So, do you have any suggestions or am I just going to have to power through it?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
hmm, they have a guide to this, I even did it myself at one point, but it uses an emulator called TGB Dual: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnq9rMqJhfo It has the best compatibility with trading with old games. :) By the way, most, if not all saves are the same as far as Gameboy goes are the same, the only thing you have to do is change the file extension.

Last edited:

Kelranox

Tried that and I'm faced with, what seems to be, the infamous 'new game' error. The only solutions I've found say to redo the import/export option until it works and that...is too tedious. Too many files being moved around and copied and it just becomes a headache. Suggestions?

Last edited: