What is a front end? How does it work? Could this be set up on a TV wirelessly?

samarmenfilms

Hey guys.....I recently made another post about wanting to hook up every emulator.....consoles, mame and even obscure ones like 3DO, Jaguar etc. hooked up to my home theater system connected to my 55" LCD system. I was recommended on another post to check out hyperspin.....it looks pretty amazing.....my questions are as follows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr0ZRpGt_vQ (I Watched This)

What is a front end exactly? Is it a board? A program? I understand it is a loader for multiple emulators.....Do any emulators not work with Hyperspin? If so which ones? Basically I have my computer.....with some emulators on it....possibly out dated. This computer is in my bedroom....on the opposite side of the wall that my living room TV is on.....trying to avoid making holes or running wires through the wall....if I can avoid it.....and I don't want to be running USB's or AV cables on the floor from room to room either. Is there any way to hook this up? How is Hyperspin purchased? Is it a monthly service? One time charge? Can people help you set these up? I would love to chat with someone who maybe has a set up like this who can advise me.....I am pretty good with home theater and such but not as good on the PC programming/coding side. I'd just love to make my living room a total one stop shop for gaming. Any suggestions, PM's or chats are welcome.....I'm new here and my experience on this site has been great so far. Thanks so much in advance.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
wow are you confused.... hyperspin like the other 1000000000000000 front ends out there is free. Its nothing more the a convenient way to run anything you want. Say for example in order to run a program you need to type in commands and set setting on your computer. So each time you want to run this app it takes 10 steps to do so. A front end does this all for you when you click 1 button. Another way to think of it, is like so: To run a emulator you need to go to the folder and run it, or make a shortcut on the computer. Then one the emulator is ran you need to find a game you wont and load it. The front end just shows you a list of games by console. All you do is double click the game. It will go out and find the emulator and run the game for you. Also front ends look nice and give game info for you.

Your redundant question about not running wires was already answered in the last thread. Wireless usb and HDMI is not a wise decision but its the only way to eliminate wires.