Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft: No more free updates!

Blog Entries

Default Microsoft: No more free updates!

Microsoft's plans to clamp down on the way illegal copies of its flagship Windows operating system receive updates—including security patches—could have a major impact on the SOHO (small office, home office) market and increase the risk of malicious hacker attacks, experts warned Wednesday.

The warning follows an announcement out of Redmond, Wash., that the "Windows Genuine Advantage" anti-piracy initiative, hitherto voluntary, will be mandatory by midyear.
    Full article: here.

That's a BAD idea. So what if some users use pirated copies? Is it worth puting legal owners in danger by unpatched users that are vunrable to viruses?

Can I post here?

Good topic as it's been discussed on any forums since this news is given. At first, it is pretty funny as we really don't know who is legal and who is illegal owner as in the world, many people used different/same serials.

Pretty tough to make sure that particular person is using pirated version or not. Better think twice before you put everyone at risk especially the legal owners.

I agree with you. That Microsoft is thirsty of power!

I suppose they are desperate to control the piracy… but they can just low their software prices, that way most people would prefer to use original software than pirated ones.
    Last edited by RockY; January 27th, 2005 at 15:55.

Quote Originally Posted by RockY
    I suppose they are desperate to control the piracy… but they can just low their software prices, that way most people would prefer to use an original copy than a pirated one.
    I'm glad we think the same way, I totally agree with you. Lowering the software prices is a great chance for us. Say, a legal copy of Windows XP Pro is about 375 US$ worth in my country!

I admit it. The piracy here is out of control, guys. Almost 90% of the people here buys pirated music, software, etc... In my case I'm hybrid (both pirate and legal copies).

So, retaking the topic, that would be a great strategy.

Blog Entries

The real problem is that right now there are millions of pc's infected by viruses because they are unpatched. Those same pc's spread the viruses even further.

Imagine now that the patches will be for legal users only. It's going to be insane out there.

The end of the world

Well people will start using any other good alternative to replace Windows. Another way is buying new computers with the Windows license.

Quote Originally Posted by RockY
    Well people will start using any other good alternative to replace Windows. Another way is buying new computers with the Windows license.
    Or switching to Linux...

Blog Entries

Have you heard the latest joke? Warez sites will start distributing Microsoft updates
    Last edited by Lefteris_D; January 28th, 2005 at 12:07.

Thread Information