Microsoft: No more free updates!

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft's plans to clamp down on the way illegal copies of its flagship Windows operating system receive updates—including security patches—could have a major impact on the SOHO (small office, home office) market and increase the risk of malicious hacker attacks, experts warned Wednesday.

The warning follows an announcement out of Redmond, Wash., that the "Windows Genuine Advantage" anti-piracy initiative, hitherto voluntary, will be mandatory by midyear.
Full article: here.

That's a BAD idea. So what if some users use pirated copies? Is it worth puting legal owners in danger by unpatched users that are vunrable to viruses?

montpics

Can I post here? :p

Good topic as it's been discussed on any forums since this news is given. At first, it is pretty funny as we really don't know who is legal and who is illegal owner as in the world, many people used different/same serials.

Pretty tough to make sure that particular person is using pirated version or not. Better think twice before you put everyone at risk especially the legal owners. :cool:

RockY

L H D T P M
I suppose they are desperate to control the piracy… but they can just low their software prices, that way most people would prefer to use original software than pirated ones.

Last edited:

Jale

RockY said:
I suppose they are desperate to control the piracy… but they can just low their software prices, that way most people would prefer to use an original copy than a pirated one.
I'm glad we think the same way, I totally agree with you. Lowering the software prices is a great chance for us. Say, a legal copy of Windows XP Pro is about 375 US$ worth in my country! :confused:

I admit it. The piracy here is out of control, guys. Almost 90% of the people here buys pirated music, software, etc... In my case I'm hybrid (both pirate and legal copies).

So, retaking the topic, that would be a great strategy.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
The real problem is that right now there are millions of pc's infected by viruses because they are unpatched. Those same pc's spread the viruses even further.

Imagine now that the patches will be for legal users only. It's going to be insane out there.

RockY

L H D T P M
Well people will start using any other good alternative to replace Windows. Another way is buying new computers with the Windows license.

Jale

RockY said:
Well people will start using any other good alternative to replace Windows. Another way is buying new computers with the Windows license.
Or switching to Linux...

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Have you heard the latest joke? Warez sites will start distributing Microsoft updates :p

Last edited:

Zach

Its about time they clamped down

And Small Business or SOHO users who are buying single liscense keys have no right to complain if they can't use them on multiple machines.

They should instead be lobbying Microsoft for a smaller SOHO liscense fee for their unique case.

Last edited:

LoGoS_dArK

Robert said:
As long as the warez updates are real updates and not some trojan in disguise. :shivers:

that is most likely to happen, trojans are the new scare for home computer owners, most of the new trojans are worst then any viruses that ive come across........if microsoft is really goin to clamp down like they are, then these warez sites arent goin to have the real thing, they we'll be bunk and loaded with
trojans and spyware, its a sad thing!! :(

montpics

We'll never know what would come next. Probably the viruses would be coming from the main company, Microsoft. :p

LoGoS_dArK

you no that a really good thought, that would be great for them, put out a shit load of virus, spyware, & trojans out into the commercial computers, to scare people into buying their new patch software, sounds like some great propaganda
on microsoft's part!! :msn_devil

F

froster1990

That and the fact that they constantly bug me to update... Why the heck would I need an auto translator in spanish? Are they just thinking up random stuff to give us?

I agree with Logos, Microsoft is probably making half the freaking viruses so we buy their new pewp.

Jale

I update Windows manually. I disabled auto-update, holy 5#!T!
That Microsoft is abussing of their power :mad:

Zach

JAPPsmash said:
I update Windows manually. I disabled auto-update, holy 5#!T!
That Microsoft is abussing of their power :mad:

....How exactly are they doing that in your case ?