is there any unix/linux users??

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
okay, :excl: ((I NEED HELP)):excl: okay lets see. I need help because I despretly need to know WHAT THE **** IS UNIX AND LINUX

any good links in minde to help me out

(PS: I am super new at computers and If any one could give me there email so I can ask them questions it would be a blessing)

A Google search would have given you the answer in less than a second :rolleyes:

thunder_184

The Punisher
okay, I seached in google found some good stuff, but I have a WinXP and I don't what the rest of my accountes to have linux (and how do I get both WinXP and linux at the same time anyways)

mhl12

there's is something called dual booting linux, which is basically partitioning your harddrive into to drives and installing linux on one and keeping windows on the other.

If you're interested in linux, you should really be somewhat familiar with computer basics such as knowing how to set your BIOS to boot off the cd.

This is a guide to dual boot ubuntu linux with xp: http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/~mjmille2/howtos/dual-boot-linux-and-windows/

also, not that linux heavily uses the command line.. so all that coded stuff, you'll have to learn. If you're not up for it, I would not recommend linux.

mhl12

no problem :)

also, i noticed i had a few typos that kinda made my previous post hard to read. I can't edit it anymore.

"your harddrive into two drives."

"also, note that linux heavily uses the command line"

thunder_184

The Punisher
eh...dose this guide work for a PC, because the guide you gave me was for toshiba Labtop???:msn_confu

mhl12

ya... i would probably um.. not install linux at the moment if i were you. No offense but definitely be A LOT more familiar with computers if you want to learn how to run linux.

toshiba laptop is a computer brand which is essentially a PC (aka Personal Computer)

thunder_184

The Punisher
kk thank, but eh...I have no were to go to learn about computers (I am the only one in my entourage that know about com.):confused:

thunder_184

The Punisher
ya... i would probably um.. not install linux at the moment if i were you. No offense but definitely be A LOT more familiar with computers if you want to learn how to run linux.

toshiba laptop is a computer brand which is essentially a PC (aka Personal Computer)

oups, I fergot the meaning of PC, what I meant is for a no-mobile computer