Configure You Xbox Emulator Here!

donkeyknob

First things first, this is a comprehensive guide to suckessfull Xbox emulation. Please read it all as it contains lots of terminology which you will need to know.

Section One: How To
OK, you will need to download an emulator. I assume you have one already? good. To use it, you CAN NOT put your Xbox disc into your computer and play like that. Microsoft don't want Xbox emulators because they lose money selling Xboxes, so they have taken steps in emulation prevention. So you need the files on your computer. The emulator will find default.xbe in whatever directory the game is in. Unfortunately, emulators don't understand the files by themselves... You need an ISO file of the game. Read On

Section Two: Getting The Games
Most Xbox games can't be read by your computer. It doesnt matter if you have a DVD-ROM or DVD-RW or what, it more then likely wont work. Why? Because computers like .exe files while Xboxes want .xbe files. They work in the same way. default.xbe is what causes an Xbox game/CD to boot and is the main set of instructions for the game/CD. default.xbe basically tells the Xbox what to do, when to do it and what other files on the disc to use. Unfortunately, Xbox emulators dont read these files and neither do computers. So you need an ISO file.

On this site i can't provide details about obtaining ISOs, but i will tell you that you can create them via a program called CraXtion. Now that you have your ISO, its time to play!

Section Three: Playing The Game
Ok, this is the tricky part. Go back to the homepage and check the xbox section for progress of each emulator. You didn't read wrong, most of the emulators dont work. Some will boot parts of games, some will make them play at low framerates. Unless you bought your computer yesterday you have no chance of playing at 3-5fps even. So basically, you have just spent the last couple of minutes reading WHY the emulator won't work. If you haven't realised by now, I was just telling you the technical details to let you know....

THERE ARE NO WORKING XBOX EMULATORS FOR THE ABOVE REASONS

M.H.A.Q.S.

Man!!! This should be a STICKY!

DJBoogie

xbox games

just thought I had to add this , Ive been modding xbox for 2 and half years.
in response to:

"Section Two: Getting The Games
Most Xbox games can't be read by your computer. It doesnt matter if you have a DVD-ROM or DVD-RW or what, it more then likely wont work. Why? Because computers like .exe files while Xboxes want .xbe files. They work in the same way. default.xbe is what causes an Xbox game/CD to boot and is the main set of instructions for the game/CD. default.xbe basically tells the Xbox what to do, when to do it and what other files on the disc to use. Unfortunately, Xbox emulators dont read these files and neither do computers. So you need an ISO file."

NO xbox games, repeat NO XBOX GAMES, will work on a standard dvd drive on a pc,not only wont they work, they will not read or cannot be disc copied with only standard dvd drive. its NOTHING at all to do with .exe files.
an xbox games is stamped, and also recorded backwards, the iso itself, will not read on a pc
to see the xbox game files you MUST connect a pc to an xbox, use a alternative dash such as evolution x, and drag the files to pc.
Just thought I'd add it.

onewecallgod

uhhh....no. xbox DVDs are identical to PC DVDs. how do people copy xbox games then? OH NOES WITCHCRAFT! PCs can copy xbox games, therefore it can "read" them. (Note: read is put in quotes for a reason)

donkeyknob, 450 posts and i dont even ever remember seeing you.... good job though

donkeyknob

DJBoogie: if you have been modding for 2 1/2 years then surely you would know that the xbox is a computer.

onewecallgod: since the days of TCS in the emulator-zone forums ive had many names such as slim shady, mozz, and beef (with some variations of each) and now im back to kinda help with the xbox forums here

donkeyknob

yes yes, the regretable peak of my wigga-ism as DJ Beefzibit. Thankfully i now listen to mostly The Living End, Audioslave, Nirvana, CKY, Yellowcard and other assorted bands that make me out to be some kind of pop-punk rock/alt wannabe

NiGHT_BLaDe

How can I find .xbe files?

Okay, thanks for the information. But how can I find .xbe files? Do I have to put my Xbox-DVD into my DVD-drive or connect my Xbox to my PC or whatever???

Thanks!!!

Yep. I'm a newb.

donkeyknob

please re-read the first post and think about it. you will be required to hack/mod your xbox before even worrying about anything else

Nargking

donkeyknob said:
yes yes, the regretable peak of my wigga-ism as DJ Beefzibit. Thankfully i now listen to mostly The Living End, Audioslave, Nirvana, CKY, Yellowcard and other assorted bands that make me out to be some kind of pop-punk rock/alt wannabe

CKY is bad.

netdroid9

onewecallgod said:
uhhh....no. xbox DVDs are identical to PC DVDs. how do people copy xbox games then? OH NOES WITCHCRAFT! PCs can copy xbox games, therefore it can "read" them. (Note: read is put in quotes for a reason)

Sorry to dissapoint you, but no, a normal DVD drive WILL NOT read an Xbox DVD.

READ this:
DJBoogie said:
An xbox games is stamped, and also recorded backwards, the iso itself will not read on a pc.

To see the xbox game files you MUST connect a pc to an xbox, use a alternative dash such as evolution x, and drag the files to pc.
Just thought I'd add it.

As in A) An XBox DVD isn't readable like the others, it's recorded backwards, and therefore READ backwords, and B ) XBox games are ISO'd by networking an XBox and a PC, and then ISOing the DVD's using the XBox's networked drive.

hagbard

Yup, you can only copy Xbox games is connecting the console to a PC, then transfer the discs data through Evolution X dashboard replacement to the PC.

And you can't read Xbox *original* games through a PC DVD drive, the format it's just incompatible, like DC or GC.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/hardware_tips580.html

Last edited:

donkeyknob

netdroid9 said:
Sorry to dissapoint you, but no, a normal DVD drive WILL NOT read an Xbox DVD.

READ this:

As in A) An XBox DVD isn't readable like the others, it's recorded backwards, and therefore READ backwords, and B ) XBox games are ISO'd by networking an XBox and a PC, and then ISOing the DVD's using the XBox's networked drive.

netdriod, you are very mistaken. hagbard is right, it just gets read incorrectly

vzst

cxbx emulator

M.H.A.Q.S. said:
Man!!! This should be a STICKY!

HI!

I downloaded the cxbx xbox emulator, when i was starting the
emulate, the cxbx write the following message:
Recieved Exception [0xC0000005]@0x000AFD28

please help