ePSXe 1.8.0 - Glitchy Graphics

Doommaster1994

Hello, everyone. This is my first post here, so I apologize if I've done anything wrong.
I recently received a Japanese PlayStation 1 game (because I can't find an ISO of it; Vigilante 8: Second Battle, Japanese version of 2nd Offense.). I got it to load up and play in ePSXe. However, there are too many graphical glitches that the game is unplayable. I didn't even get into the gameplay yet and the main menu, options, and character select graphics are messed up. I tried different video settings in the configuration wizard, but that didn't seem to work. I also tried all three of the Japan BIOS and they work exactly the same way. Here are my computer specs:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
2.31 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

I use Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3, and I have an ATi video card. Besides the graphical glitches, the game works perfectly fine, there's no freezing or slowing down and the sound doesn't skip at all. The disc has no scratches either. If you need screenshots, let me know where to post them and I'll be happy to do so. Thanks for your time, and my sincere apologies if I've posted in the wrong place.

EDIT: I wanted to make an update. I tried some other games (Twisted Metal, JP The Next Tetris, all of these are the CD's mind you) and they worked fine. However, I tried my USA version of Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense and it suffers the same problems as the Japanese version, so I know it's not my game. There are no scratches on either disc. Is it that some games are incompatible with ePSXe?

Last edited:

testmachine

Old member
Hey,can you post screenshots?Post them on Imgur

And I think that this is probably a plugin error.What plugin are you using?Try to disable the 2xsal filter when you configure your plugin.

Doommaster1994

It won't let me put a link to the photo here, so I'll just add a space in . com
i.imgur. com/G9yq9Wf.png - This is the options menu.
i.imgur. com/Yowxxv5.png - The character select screen.
i.imgur. com/hk5Tmnr.png - The main menu. The options are there, but they're invisible. The only good thing about this is it makes a nice background for your computer if you like the game.
i.imgur. com/dHwEiUo.png - Here's the Japanese version.

To answer your question, I'm not sure what plugin I'm using. Is there a way I can find out? I have a bunch of them in my plugins folder.
Again, many thanks for your help.

Last edited:

testmachine

Old member
Yes,definitely a plugin glitch.Ok so here's what you're gonna do.Go to config>video and select your plugin there.I would reccomend you to try the P.E.Op.S Software plugin,I'm certain that this should fix any graphical issues.If it doesn't post a screenshot of the game while using the softwaree plugin.

Doommaster1994

Well, I tried the plugin and... it worked! Now the game works perfectly! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!
I have a couple other questions. Can you pause the emulator without actually having to exit out of the game? Also, is there a hotkey to save a screenshot? I just pressed Print Screen and cropped the images in Paint. Again, thanks so much for your help.

Last edited:

testmachine

Old member
Well, I tried the plugin and... it worked! Now the game works perfectly! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!
I have a couple other questions. Can you pause the emulator without actually having to exit out of the game? Also, is there a hotkey to save a screenshot? I just pressed Print Screen and cropped the images in Paint. Again, thanks so much for your help.

You're welcome.I knew that it will work.
To answer your questions:
Can you pause the emulator without actually having to exit out of the game?
No,unfortunately this is not possible.
Also, is there a hotkey to save a screenshot?
Yes,just press the F8 key and ePSXe will save a screenshot in the "snap" folder in the ePSXe base folder.

Last edited:

Doommaster1994

Thanks! Though when I take a snapshot, it doubles the image and adds some weird graphics. Other than that, the game works flawlessly. I did come across one error (I forgot what it was, but I'll let you know if I get it again) but it was only one time.
Here's a screenshot I took:
i.imgur. com/WedSaVg.png

testmachine

Old member
Thanks! Though when I take a snapshot, it doubles the image and adds some weird graphics. Other than that, the game works flawlessly. I did come across one error (I forgot what it was, but I'll let you know if I get it again) but it was only one time.
Here's a screenshot I took:
i.imgur. com/WedSaVg.png

That is the debug data on the right side.It's normal.But if you want to take screenshots without that you can try Fraps.
http://www.fraps.com/download.php

And the default screenshot key is f12,but you can bind your own key.I've been using Fraps for 2 years,and it's a great tool for recording and taking screenshots from games and any programs that use DirectX 9 or OpenGL.

Doommaster1994

Oh, I see. That's interesting. I just press PrintScreen and crop the image into paint as a .png file. I've used FRAPS before, only for video (my computer doesn't like it recording video). I prefer .png's because they're pixel perfect.

testmachine

Old member
Oh, I see. That's interesting. I just press PrintScreen and crop the image into paint as a .png file. I've used FRAPS before, only for video (my computer doesn't like it recording video). I prefer .png's because they're pixel perfect.

Yes,and they don't have any artifacts like Jpeg pictures do.