New ePSXe emulator posted on main site is malware/virus

TheForestAbove

Just a warning for those who pass by. The new ePSXe posted on the main site, the one released in 2012, is a virus/malware. I've used this site for years so I'm a bit surprised malware is being shared. Immediately when I tried to open the Playstation emulator my virus protection software alerted me it was a virus and a second later the blue screen of death appeared and my computer shut down. So yeah, just a warning. Don't know what the deal is. Gonna try getting the program from ePSXe's main site.

TheForestAbove

Scratch that, ePSXe is malware itself. Really didn't think a well-known emulator group would fuck over people like that, but I guess it happens. The program ePSXe itself is malware. Same thing happened to me after I d/l the file off their site directly.

I would suggest Emulator Zone take ePSXe off the site directly, elsewise they'll just continue to share viruses/malware and fuck over their viewers.

Anyway, going with PSX.

testmachine

Old member
Your computer was probably infected before you downloaded ePSXe.I've had no virus reports from Eset NOD32 5.0.And don't go around talking shit about emu developers.Because they've done enough for us.Let's see you code a emulator and release it for free.Probably won't happen.So shut up.

TheForestAbove

I don't have any viruses or malware on my computer. And if I did, that wouldn't affect a friggin emulator. Also, if I did, I wouldn't be able to run PSX. But I just built my computer. It's fresh, nothing wrong with it. Can run every other emulator in the book, but this one crashes my computer. Classic trojan. The program is malware. That isn't my fault so think before you insult someone.

Last edited:

testmachine

Old member
I don't have any viruses or malware on my computer. And if I did, that wouldn't affect a friggin emulator. Also, if I did, I wouldn't be able to run PSX. But I just built my computer. It's fresh, nothing wrong with it. Can run every other emulator in the book, but this one crashes my computer. Classic trojan. The program is malware. That isn't my fault so think before you insult someone.

Hohoho.This emu doesn't crash computers that easy.And it's not malware,probably there's a high cpu load on your computer,this might cause any computer to crash.What processor do you have?
I've had a Pentium 4 3,4 ghz with ht,and if the cpu was being used for an hour or so with a high load on it,then the pc would crash.But that processor was good for games,and later i changed the fan and applied new thermal paste to it,and then it didn't crash at all.

Last edited:

GamerSam

Your computer was probably infected before you downloaded ePSXe.I've had no virus reports from Eset NOD32 5.0.And don't go around talking shit about emu developers.Because they've done enough for us.Let's see you code a emulator and release it for free.Probably won't happen.So shut up.

Second.

GamerSam

what shitty anti-virus you using?

testmachine

Old member
what shitty anti-virus you using?

Probably Avira.It's a fact that this AV is prone to report multiple false positives.One time when i was using avira,a virus probably infected one file,and i quarantined it.But then it started to delete files from the system32 folder,forcing me to do a destructive format,and installing a new OS.I've sworn to myself that i won't use Avira ever again.But Nod32 is awesome and i didn't have any troubles with it.

testmachine

Old member
Classic trojan. The program is malware. That isn't my fault so think before you insult someone.

To clarify this.Trojans don't crash computers.They secretly destroy system files and after a few days the system becomes unusable,forcing one to reformat and start from a freshly installed OS.High cpu load,high cpu,gpu temperature and malfunctions in the motherboard can crash a computer.
And i didn't basically insult you,i just said that you shouldn't talk bad about developers,and their programs.ePSXe is not a virus and it will never be one.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Virus software makes many attempts to figure out what is a virus and what is not. Just because it say it's malware does not make it so. It's not just going from a database only. If I write some code that hacks in to files for purely good reason ( hex editor ) it may think it is a virus. And we all know epsxe does hack in to files. How else will it emulate the data in a file.

The question is not that it detected it as maleaware, it is what did it install on your computer or what is it doing that is a threat? Once you have that info let us know. If we dont have the same issue, the OBVIOUSLY its you.

Last edited:

TheForestAbove

I'm using avast and have been for years. Never had any problems with it.

ePSXe gave me the blue screen of death and shut my computer down. Seems like there's something wrong with the software.
And ulaoulao, whatever ePSXe is, it has a high potential to fuck your computer up. My computer is fine and it's clean.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
ePSXe gave me the blue screen of death and shut my computer down. Seems like there's something wrong with the software.
No... I see you are new to emulation? This is probably one of the most common things that happen.
1) Emulators will push your hardware to the limits. ( check you temps! )
2) Emulation is brute forcing the code of the game and trying to guess how to translate the to DirrectX or OpenGL. When a mistake is made you will get a blue screen, lock, or crash.
3) As all emulators state, use at your own risc.
4) Blue screens are hardly caused by viruses. Why would anyone write a virus that gives its self away?

And ulaoulao, whatever ePSXe is, it has a high potential to fuck your computer up. My computer is fine and it's clean.
There is no question what it is. We all know what it is and have used it for years. Its they best psx emulator you will find.

Personally, I dont think you have the level of knowledge to be running emulators. They are not out of the box software and are not expected to be perfect by any means.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not getting any serious hits on this file (ePSXe v1.80) on VirusTotal. Only one virus scanner returns a result, but I think that is a heuristic false positive, and can be ignored.

testmachine

Old member
I'm not getting any serious hits on this file (ePSXe v1.80) on VirusTotal. Only one virus scanner returns a result, but I think that is a heuristic false positive, and can be ignored.

This!
Nod32 is a rather agressive antivirus,if it sees a real virus,it deletes it without any questions.But it can detect some files as false positives,deleting them in the case.

Robert

I also like these useless heated arguments..

Tell us exactly what was on that blue screen and perhaps the message will say what caused it.

Last edited: