Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal?

Default Is it legal?

Hello everybody! I am the new kid on the block here, so bare with my nooby nature on these parts of the forums.

I understand that in order to download ROMS, I need to have a legal copy. I do have a legal copy...well I did. I lost it. But I legally purchased it! Would this allow me to legally download it? Or am I just talking nonsense about all this legality stuff and just download all the games to my hearts desire?

Default Re: Is it legal?

Welp, technically it is illegal to download roms of games that you don't own. I believe that if you have made a purchase, you should be able to have a back up on your computer. But really, whats stopping you from downloading? Nothing much to be honest.

So basically I shouldn't have to worry about illegally downloading ROMs?

You shouldn't have to, no. But the way I see it, there is a fine morale line between illegal and legal as far as roms go. Some forums like this one, we don't mention the names of Rom sites, and we don't post links. Basically, we don't say that we download them, we just discuss them, if you know what I mean.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MellowJello View Post
    So basically I shouldn't have to worry about illegally downloading ROMs?
    You shouldn't worry about older roms.But newer ones for the NDS and N3DS,or even isos for the PS3,XBOX360 and Nintendo Wii could bring you legal issues.I'm in Bosnia And Herzegovina,and here the laws are different.The government and the police don't care much about our people downloading stuff from pirate sites and torrent sites.So we're theoretically speaking immune to legal issues by downloading stuff from the Net.But in America laws about internet piracy are quite strict and if you ever get caught there's a slight chance that you'll be issued a fine for downloading pirated softwares or Games,or anything pirated (Music,movies,Operating Systems etc.).So be careful.
    Last edited by testmachine; April 15th, 2013 at 23:44.

I say pirate to your heart's content and buy the game if you really like it. Most games these days are crapware, I'm not going to spend $40+ on a game that I will spend a few hours on and never play again.

Blog Entries

I say pirate to your heart's content and buy the game if you really like it. Most games these days are crapware, I'm not going to spend $40+ on a game that I will spend a few hours on and never play again.
    - spoken like a true gamer.
    Original, the only way to play.

Forums
    main page - Working controllers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alexxi View Post
    This is exactly what i meant.

If you find your game again, nope. Also I assume there are probably some older games that belonged to dead companies by now, I wish there was somewhere to look that kinda info up.

That would probably depend on your country's laws and diligence in enforcing them.
    Some countries forbid piracy but are pretty lax when it does happen.

Some people or companies also don't find it worth the effort to file a law suit.
    They can let it slide if only a small number of people pirate their stuff.

Thread Information