[Up-To-Date]ePSXe Setup Tutorial

testmachine

Old member
This is an up-to-date guide of how to set up ePSXe version 1.80.Please note that you can set up all versions using my guide.
1:download ePSXe from here:
http://www.epsxe.com/files/ePSXe180.zip
(This package includes stock ePSXe p.e.o.p.s and pete's plugins)
2:Extract the "ePSXe180.zip" archive to a folder.You can do this by right clicking the archive and clicking the "Extract To" button.
3nmMrZX.jpg

***Note that the folder can be anywhere on your hard drive,and it won't affect ePSXe
3.Setting your bios:
if you have a bios file called SCPH1001.bin you should move it into the "Bios" folder in the epsxe base folder. (do not ask for bios links!)
usYa6cQ.jpg

4:Run the executable file (epsxe.exe)
CXrphtz.jpg

and you will see a window pop up called "Welcome to the ePSXe config setup" that looks like this (Number 1. On the image):
4Ktxf6h.jpg

1.Click the "Config" button
2.Select your bios "Scph1001" is the reccomended one. (Don't ask for bios links,as i cannot give you a link to illegal content)
**Read section 3!
3.Select your video plugin and configure it.
*I would reccomend you to select any of pete's plugins if you have a better graphics card.But if you have an intergrated (Intel GMA,Nvidia Nforce) card you should use P.E.Op.S' software plugin.
4.Select your sound plugin.
*I would reccomend you to use the stock SPU Core plugin,as it's fast and sounds great.And you don't even have to configure it!
5.Select your cdrom plugin.
*You can select any plugin that you wish,and set it up according to your drive letters.But you should use the "Run ISO" option,as it's faster and disc switching works better.
6.Configure your keyboard or Joypad
*This is as easy as it gets,click the controller 1 button and set your keyboard or joystick any way you want!
7.Press "done" and proceed to play playstation games!
ecZ40tt.jpg

Last edited:

testmachine

Old member
Okay,now i'll say it again!
DO NOT ASK FOR LINKS TO DOWNLOAD A PSX BIOS!!!
Why?Read THIS!

and

"Unlike a few alternative PlayStation emulators that are able to use high level emulation to mimic the effect of the PlayStation's BIOS, ePSXe functions with an image of an official Sony PlayStation BIOS. Since the various PlayStation BIOS images are copyrighted by Sony, it is illegal to distribute them. For this reason, ePSXe does not come bundled with any of the PlayStation BIOS images, requiring the user to provide one for the emulator."

Credit: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPSXe)

Last edited:

testmachine

Old member
TIP:If you have graphical glitches in some games,switch to the P.E.Op.S Software Plugin,this may fix some graphical glitches,but it reduces the overall graphics look.
*Software plugins are made to look like the original Graphics of the PlayStation.

Sawblade500

I need some help. I'm trying to run this and so far I've got it to run awesomely! Except the only problem is that the game I'm running, Crash Bandicoot 1, keeps having this wierd glitch where the music will repeat for five seconds and turn black everytime a new screen pops up. To be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Last edited:

testmachine

Old member
I need some help. I'm trying to run this and so far I've got it to run awesomely! Except the only problem is that the game I'm running, Crash Bandicoot 1, keeps having this wierd glitch where the music will repeat for five seconds and turn black everytime a new screen pops up. To be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing.

That's not an emulator error,probably the disc is faulty,or the ripped ISO is from a faulty disc.Try finding another iso and then post back.

montpics

Crash Bandicoot.... Okay, I'll check it out for you once I had the game. Will post back ASAP. ;)

UPDATED :
Tried the game just now. No problem about the game or sound glitch. As testmachine mentioned earlier, it is possible that you had a bad CD or image. Try to find another. :)

UPDATED 2 :
@testmachine
You should put the epsxe link to our homepage.
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/epsxe.html

Last edited:

InkDragon

Ok, first post. I am soaking up the whole atmosphere as well as I can. I am new to this type of emulator, and have had what I deem considerable luck. I have followed the "original" tutorial to the point that I have successfully played a game. I'm almost entirely convinced that I got lucky choosing different options, and would like a bit of affirmation.

This posts suggests that the latest version was 180. I downloaded from this site a 190 and assume that it was issued after this post was created. Following the original tutorial, I downloaded the video and audio plugins. I see that the 180 version comes with them already. I'm guessing that the 190 has them as well. If this is true, the included plugins are the best option.....right? Also, there are several files placed around within the folders, like the bios folder in the image above, that are named "erase me" or some variation of the same. The image above has the file circled and marked as "ignore". I guess that the file is a "filler" or "place holder" of some sort and isn't important to the program running successfully. Should the file be deleted like the name suggests, or ignored as the directions here suggest? Does it even matter?

Thank you for your time.

buttfly

Ok, first post. I am soaking up the whole atmosphere as well as I can. I am new to this type of emulator, and have had what I deem considerable luck. I have followed the "original" tutorial to the point that I have successfully played a game. I'm almost entirely convinced that I got lucky choosing different options, and would like a bit of affirmation.

This posts suggests that the latest version was 180. I downloaded from this site a 190 and assume that it was issued after this post was created. Following the original tutorial, I downloaded the video and audio plugins. I see that the 180 version comes with them already. I'm guessing that the 190 has them as well. If this is true, the included plugins are the best option.....right? Also, there are several files placed around within the folders, like the bios folder in the image above, that are named "erase me" or some variation of the same. The image above has the file circled and marked as "ignore". I guess that the file is a "filler" or "place holder" of some sort and isn't important to the program running successfully. Should the file be deleted like the name suggests, or ignored as the directions here suggest? Does it even matter?

Thank you for your time.

Thanks for this tutorial. Nice sharing.

Free Download Pc Games

M_Shane

Hi, I have an issue where when I extract EPSXE I don't get all of those folders. I have tried on many different occasions on many different computers but I can never get it to work. This is what I have when I extract it. (I have tried 3 different versions and 2 different extracting programs. I used the official site to get the emulator) I can't post a link to the image so I'll just type out what I get. burutter.dll, delete.me, epsxe.chm, epsxe.exe, epsxe_en.txt, epsxe_sp.txt, erase.me, gpu.dat, kill.me, punch.me, remove.me. None of these are folders but everytime I see a tutorial they get a bunch of folders.

M_Shane

Ignore my last post, it was the extraction programs I was using, I just downloaded the trial for Winrar and tried and it worked fine.

mr_grimm

Few questions..

I'm running a dell inspiron 1000
Intel Pentium m 150 ghz processor
With opensuse 11.3

First question, Will it run epsxe,
Secondly, I have downloaded epsxe 1.7 for windows (wine)
And 1.8 for Linux

I have all of the necessary bios and plugins
In the proper folders, however when I go to
Configure the video plugin, there is nothing in the drop box.
Sound is fine, but no video.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Free Download Pc Games[/QUOTE]

mr_grimm

Question for any Linux users..
I'm running an old school dell inspiron 1000 laptop
Intel Pentium m 150 ghz processor
With openSUSE 11.3

I'm running epsxe through wine (unfortunately)
And i need to know first off if this computer will even run the emulator
And secondly, I have all of the necessary bios and plugins
In their appropriate folders. Audio plugin comes up no problem,
but the video plugin is absent in the drop down box.
Am I missing something? Any help greatly appreciated.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
A lot of plugins are direct x based, which is primarily windows. Do you have any OpenGL video plugins? Those should be in the drop box.

mr_grimm

A lot of plugins are direct x based, which is primarily windows. Do you have any OpenGL video plugins? Those should be in the drop box.

Yea I downloaded the OpenGL plugins first. I haven't tried direct x though, since yea they are
Mostly windows based. I am running epsxe through wine though, would I need to try direct x for that?
I have also tried dumping ALL of the video plugins in the folder at once and still no change.
Any other route I could try?