Emulator Problem: Can I make Dolphin 3.5 faster?

Derek1271996

Hey, new to the forums. I was just wondering if there was any way I could make Dolphin faster, because when I start getting into games, it slows to anywhere between 60% - 30%, and it really drags down the gameplay. (The only Wii games I've tried so far are SSBB and Pokemon Battle Revolution).

I expect it to get laggy sometimes, but is there anything I can do to stop it from dropping down to 30%?

Derek1271996

What kind of computer do you have?What specifications (Processor,graphics,ram,sound,OS)?

Processor; AMD A8-5500 APU
Graphics; Radeon HD Graphics 320 Ghz
Ram; 8Gb with 7.4Gb usable

I remember hearing from a friend that there's a program that slows everything your computer is doing except for a program of your choice, making that program run more smoothly and faster. I can't remember the name of it and I can't get ahold of said friend, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please tell me.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
wow really? Did you read the recommend requirements over there?

how can you speed up dolphin
1) Ditch amd, yes amd is a great chip but not for dolphin, get an ivy bridge i5 ( not i7 )
2) no more then 4 cores, dolphin will only ever use 3. any more and its a power waste.
3) I dont know jack about ati but get an nvidia gtx 7 or 8 gen. Look on the forums for advice on ati.
4) "8Gb with 7.4Gb usable" that screams on board video, never never never do that. Although 8 gig is ok.

About the slow down, I think he means set high priority in task man. You dont need to do that, dolphin is going to consume you computer.

Derek1271996

wow really? Did you read the recommend requirements over there?

I know my computer's not the best, but I'm pretty tight on cash and it was the best I could afford.

And it wasn't setting Dolphin as high priority in task manager, it was a program that he dl that slowed everything else your computer did to a minimum to improve the performance of any gameplay. (I wish I could give you a more detailed description, but I might as well be handicapped when it comes to programs/computers. That's why I'm here asking for advice/help)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
OH, not going to work man. SSBB is pretty demanding. but if you want to beef up what you ave the only option is a video card. Unfortunately that is going to cost you 200-500 depending on what you get.

Whatever program does that is highly questionable, if you find out what its called I'd be happy to look in to it.

Gkeeper25

I remember hearing from a friend that there's a program that slows everything your computer is doing except for a program of your choice, making that program run more smoothly and faster. I can't remember the name of it and I can't get ahold of said friend, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please tell me.

The program you may be thinking about is called Game Booster, you can get a new version from Razer (http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster). I'm sure there are other versions but this is the one I currently have. Same concept it safely closes all the background operations on your computer for your game to run better. Hope this helps.

BurnedPhoenix

I apologize for ressurecting a month old thread, but I also got a problem with the Dolphin 3.5 being slow.
When I play Star Fox Adventures, it starts off with 60 FPS and 100% on the logo, but as soon as the cinematic starts, it goes down to 30FPS and 56%.
I have followed the guides on how to boost it up but its still running slow.. My specs are as follows:

Processor; AMD FX4100 Quad-Core 3.60Ghz
Graphics; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
RAM; 8GB

I know Ivy is better than AMD for this, but is it really that much of a difference with my current processor?

Thank you in advance for any replies to this reply.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
people! why do you continue to use this AMD stuff? yes, AMD is cool, yes its cheep, yes its faster them intel in some cases but not with dolphin.

read

You will never get full speeds with dolpinh on an AMD its not written to do so. PERIOD!

Star fox is one of those demanding games that intel can't even hit full speeds on.

it really that much of a difference with my current processor
Its not the speed of your processor its the technology within.

Last edited: