Final Fantasy VIII CD change problem

Pintkonan

hey folks,

i've got a problem playing final fantasy VIII for playstation with epsxe and psx 1.13 emulator. the problem is the following:

i have finished cd1 - the fight versus cifer and edea - and saved my game ( on three different slots at the virtual memory card ( slot 1, 5 and 9 ). after saving, the game tells me to change to disc 2, but when i do so, a screen occurs that sais that i have inserted the wrong disc ( "das ist die falsche cd" - "this is the wrong disc" is what the screen tells me ).

i own and use the original game ( i can post screenshots if you wish ). to get the game started, i had to make an iso-file of cd1 and "patch" it with some file i found on the internet. there was no other way to get the game started. i tried to continue my game with the original playstation disc 2, but that got me the error. so i made an iso of the cd2 and tried to use epsxe/psx1.13 function "run iso" - both did not work. i also tried to continue my game with the iso of cd2 mounted by daemon tools, reconfiguring epsxe/psx1.13 "cd-rom-letter" - but the ingame screen always tells me that i have the wrong disc inserted. i tried all 3 savegames with the different types of "cd2's".

because i am a german i use the german version of final fantasy VIII ^^ thats also why my english might seem strange to you (=

final fantasy VII run without any problems with epsxe ( also original german version ).

of course i searched the internet, but most of the related threads are for the pc version of the game and some kind of copy protection fix ( noCD... ) or changing something int the windows registry. but that doesnt help me with the playstation version of the game. one guy had the same problem as i have, but found out that memory card slot 1 of the epsxe memcard is buggy ( unfortunately is saved the game on slot 1 at the first time, but after beating edea again and saving at slot 5 an d 9 didnt worked ).

if you need any more information, please let me know. i will provide information as good as i can. i am using windows 7 ultimate professional ( you might guess it - its an original version ^^ ).

greetings Conrad

testmachine

Old member
First of all,your english is great.
And now,i think that the patch might be the culprit here.If you didn't patch disc one i think that there wouldn't be a "Falsches CD or Wrong Disc Inserted".You should try to play the unpatched iso.Try to find a savegame where you were on the internet.
Here's what i found:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197341-final-fantasy-vii/saves

P.S I speak german,but i use english on a daily basis.

Pintkonan

hey again, after having a little sleep i found out, that i have thought too complicated.

my savegame from the end of cd1 already sais that i'm on cd2. ( theres is a specific description where i am on the map, how much money i have and so on )

so i should try to mount cd2 and load the game without the procedure of "cd changing while the emulator is running".

but if i try to run the original cd2, the iso or the mounted iso the screen stays black and nothing happens.

is somebody used to this "phenomenon"? at least the square enix and loading screen should appear?

testmachine

Old member
hey again, after having a little sleep i found out, that i have thought too complicated.

my savegame from the end of cd1 already sais that i'm on cd2. ( theres is a specific description where i am on the map, how much money i have and so on )

so i should try to mount cd2 and load the game without the procedure of "cd changing while the emulator is running".

but if i try to run the original cd2, the iso or the mounted iso the screen stays black and nothing happens.

is somebody used to this "phenomenon"? at least the square enix and loading screen should appear?

It might be that your original disc number 2 is scratched and probably has those black spots on it.Try to download disc number two and try switching discs again.
You should be able to find the second disc on Google.I found it that way.

Pintkonan

problem SOLVED:

i had to enable the subchannel protection in the epsxe cd-rom configuration menu. then the original cd is running. that doesnt work with the mounted iso or the iso from the hdd.

thanks though to testmachine.

enjoy your time.

greetings Conrad

testmachine

Old member
problem SOLVED:

i had to enable the subchannel protection in the epsxe cd-rom configuration menu. then the original cd is running. that doesnt work with the mounted iso or the iso from the hdd.

thanks though to testmachine.

enjoy your time.

greetings Conrad

Gern geschehen. :D