Someone tried to use my account!

Robert

both those threads were made in the last week, are you on drugs child
Must have been. It won't let me edit my post.

also, don't tell me what should and shouldn't be deleted.
Hey I had the word probably in front. It means it's only a suggestion, not an order. You run your forum whatever way you want. You're the one with the hackers.

hitmonlee

what's the point in banning ip ranges if they can use an annoymous ip?

what if a genuine user wants to access the forums and they live within a banned ip range? bud luck for them?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Just keep track of those IP's for a few days and then report them to their ISP. Let their legal department do the rest.

hitmonlee said:
what if a genuine user wants to access the forums and they live within a banned ip range? bud luck for them?
Yeah, that's the bad side.

Last edited:

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
Yes, it's a bad side, and it's also an illogical side. This is why only Lefteris would advocate blocking IP ranges.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
A temporary IP ban always helps in keeping away people trying to break into other's accounts. That's one of the main reasons that feature exists, stopping trolls.

It may be illogical to you but it is sometimes the only solution when dealing with those people.

Last edited:

Jale

Lefteris_D said:
A temporary IP ban always helps in keeping away people trying to break into other's accounts. That's one of the main reasons that feature exists, stopping trolls.

It may be illogical to you but it is sometimes the only solution when dealing with those people.
But what happen to the people that log in on the same computer if they get their IP banned? I know there are different ban ways:

IP, nick and e-mail...

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
A quite large emulation forum had bans on both Yahoo and Hotmail a few years ago. That forced new users to use their ISP email or seek another free email provider.

Last edited:

Jale

Funny, If I ban people on my forum (thing I haven't done yet :)) I lock them by it's username or nick (whatever).

montpics

Lefteris_D said:
A quite large emulation forum had bans on both Yahoo and Hotmail a few years ago. That forced new users to use their ISP email or seek another free email provider.
That's why I couldn't get in those forums. :)
But I tried to use the other free-email provider and registered in those forum. That's didn't work as I still haven't receive any validation from the Admin.... :huh:

F

froster1990

I don't see why people try to get in, don't they realize they'll just be getting there IP banned? Like it's kind of annoying if i'm playing Starcraft and some kid who wined when I beat him, calling me a hacker, and he set up a bot and kept trying to log in on my account. I'd wake up in the morning and find over 5000 failed log ins. He fought me with my own account and I still beat him, it doesn't change.

Anyhow, why do they like being so god D*m annoying.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
That's why we call those people trolls froster1990. They want to entertain themselved by bugging people and causing damage. Sometimes it is even people that wish to retaliate against a forum after a ban.

Last edited:
F

froster1990

Then I guess they don't realize that it was there own fault that they got themselves banned? Pretty stupid if you ask me.