N64 Controller and Adapter with Project 64

KingHarkinianZC

Hello, I am having a problem with an original N64 grey controller and a boom n64 and psx adapter, and getting them to work with Project 64. I asked about this on the Project 64 forums, but I'm not getting much help, so I came here. This is my post on the Project 64 forums:

Hello. I have been having problems getting my original grey N64 controller to work with Project 64. I ordered the controller off of ebay a few days ago. The description said that the controller's stick was tight (which it is), and working just fine on a real N64. When it came, I plugged it into my Boom N64 and PSX USB adapter, and went into control panel, and calibrated it. After doing so, I tried setting the controls in project 64. I found that moving up, down or diagonally is impossible. Checking in control panel, I found that moving in those directions causes it to think I'm jerking the stick back and forth between that direction and back toward the center rapidly. Also, the Z rotation goes crazy. What's even stranger is that all the buttons work, and so does moving perfectly left or right.

I don't think the stick is broken. It only moves a tiny bit (like a 1 milometer radius) when the controller is shaken, so it most definitely not loose. Could this controller just not be compatible with this adapter (which is known to only work with specific controllers for some reason)? Would buying the Mayflash one work? I'm not sure what to do. Can someone please tell me what to do? How can I check to see if the controller isn't broken, and should I just buy a better, more reliable adapter if the problem is in fact the adapter?

To sum all this up, if I move the n64 joystick in any way that alters the y axis, it will also detect the opposite input every other frame, causing stuttering when waking forward, backward and diagonal in games like Mario 64 or OoT, but moving left and right and pressing all of the buttons on the controller work perfectly. I'm not sure whether or not the controller doesn't work (it's stick is tight and the controller is in great shape though) or it's just not compatible with my brand of adapter, which has a history of not being compatible with certain controllers. Can someone please help me? Thanks.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
If you have a psx controller plug it in but leave the n64 selection on. There was a defect on those where the n64 pulled to much current and plugging in the psx balanced it. If that does not work you will need to get another n64 ( no its not a bad controller ). Some n64 controller just act that way, tough it is the adapters fault. That adapter is old and has issues. The better option is to buy a newer adapter like the one in my sig.

KingHarkinianZC

If you have a psx controller plug it in but leave the n64 selection on. There was a defect on those where the n64 pulled to much current and plugging in the psx balanced it. If that does not work you will need to get another n64 ( no its not a bad controller ). Some n64 controller just act that way, tough it is the adapters fault. That adapter is old and has issues. The better option is to buy a newer adapter like the one in my sig.

Ahh... I don't have a PSX controller. You say it's the adapter? About 5 years ago I had bought a Yobo 3rd party N64 controller, and tried using it with the same adapter, which resulted in the inputs going crazy because the controller wasn't compatible. With the official one it's just the stick that's a problem, and it's also just a problem with the adapter? Another thing to mention is I brought this adapter and my laptop to the local Play N' Trade, and they had a transparent green N64 set up with the original controller. When I used that controller with the adapter, it worked perfectly. If that controller worked, why wouldn't a standard grey one?

Anyway, thank you for the help. I checked out the adapter from the link in your signature, and it seems pretty cool, being able to adapt for many types of controllers, but it's $35 bucks for one with a single port. That happens to be a little out of my price range for the time being. Would you recommend the Mayflash one with 2 ports? On YouTube I see that that is the most commonly used adapter for N64, but around the web I have heard mixed opinions. Amazon and Ebay give it 4.5-5 stars, but the Project 64 forum calls it a piece of trash :unsure:. To tell you the truth, I would want an Adaptoid, but those are rare and expensive unfortunately.

-KingHarkinianZC

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Yeah the "inputs going crazy because the controller wasn't compatible" is a more severe issue of the same. I have 20 n64 controller I use for my project and 8 of them dont work on that adapter. All are Nintendo brands... Though in all cases plugging in the psx fixes it. That adapter is very poorly designed.

yes I would recommend Mayflash but you have to get the new revision!!!! the old revision sucks. Contact them so you make sure you are buying the new revision ( I dont know what the rev. # is ).

My project is to be the new adaptoid, I set out to replicate it. All but reading mempacks are complete.

Last edited:

KingHarkinianZC

Ok, thanks.

Btw, could there possibly be a way to trick the adapter into thinking a PSX controller is plugged in, so N64 controllers will work? That would be real helpful, and it would probably make these adapters worth buying, as they are are relatively cheap, and they would work. Too bad they are worthless and broken pieces of trash.

-KingHarkinianZC

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
You would try putting a load on it. but I warn you about over loading it. If you have anyone that know some about electronics its possible to fake what the psx is pulling.

There is always a reason things are cheep.

KingHarkinianZC

I know someone personally who is extremely good with electronics. Can you give me any specifics I should tell them so they know what they would have to do?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Have him check the current a psx pulls while connected. Then have him wire up a resistor to emulate that.

Here is the pin out.
wiring.jpg

Tell him not to worry about the 7-9v vibration power, that is not important. My guess is the resistor should go from ground to +3 ( its actually +5 on your adapter, make sure you tell him that ) to ground. Pin 8 and 7 are not even used so ignore them. Now its also possible he will need to hold low or high on pins 1 and 2. I'm not sure there but its possible since the psx controller will pull from those wires. Good luck and post the schematic if you succeed.

Last edited: