USB atari compatible joystick adapter

Nitz76

Hello there!

First, let me introduce myself. I'm a 36 years old engineer from Canada. I'm specialized in networking and electronic design.

Since i'm 8 years old, i'm a Commodre fan. :great: The fan grew up but still, the passion is alive.

Trying my best to keep this platform running, even more and more away from the original hardware. I still own the real thing, but it's like getting my super 8 projector out of the closet to watch a movie. It's delicate and I don't want to break it. ;) This is why I turned to emulation.

Doing my part for the retro community, I decided to build a full production of USB joystick adapter for Atari / Commodore / Sega compatible joysticks.

This adapter is recognized right a way by Windows and OSX and can be use with any emulator or game.

If you're interested, you can visit my website at http://www.retronicdesign.com/

Cheers!

Nitz76

usbplain.jpg

Nitz76

ani-lights-bar-120x29.gif

Hey retro gamers!

This USB adapter makes a great gift for all your retro gaming friends on your list!

We want to wish a very happy retro Christmas to all Emulator Zone members!

Nitz

Last edited by a moderator:

Nitz76

Happy new year!!!

I had some spare time during my christmas vacation. I built a 2.0 version of the software. It now supports USB reflashing so you can reprogram it with a new software as you wish. It could be to support a new version or different hardware. You can build your own if you want!

For example, I built a version that support the Amiga Mouse and is detected by Windows like a standard mouse. Possibilities are now wider opened, keeping the same hardware.

I'm working on a firmware that will support CD32 controllers (6 buttons). If there is beta testers or developpers out there, I'd be happy to assist.

Ciao! Nitz

Nitz76

Yeah cd32 is a odd ball though why not support all buttons? red, blue, green, yellow, L, R, play?

Ya actually it's not that odd. Every buttons can be read through a shift register. If you leave the controller in normal mode, only red and blue button will work. When you switch it to serial mode (pin5), you can cycle the button through pin 9 while using pin 6 as a clock.

Did you saw the Atari 7800 joystick? this one is odd! Two buttons but can work in 1 button mode. Can be reversed and used in 2 button mode but in active high! (yuk!)

Last edited:

Nitz76

Great news!

Confirmed today, the adapter with firmware 2.0 now support Amiga NG under Amiga OS4.1! :my_specoo

This means you can use your old joysticks on your new Amiga.

Cheers!

Nitz

Nitz76

True that.
odd as in the controller. The 7800 agreed strange the way the interfaced with it as is the intellivision.

Another odd thing is that Atari and Sega decided to place their +5v pin in a different position. It's either pin 7 or 5 respectively. The same ting happens with CPC controllers and their second button. Plugged into a commodore 64 can make unreversible damage to the joystick port. :p

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
yes, I think there was a reason for it, mostly on the sega side. In my set up I use the chip to power the controller not the +5 from the usb, that way I control what pins are what. The 3d0 had yet anther set up for power as I recall and coleaco is set up to reverse polarity.

Last edited:

Nitz76

Since I've started june 2012, I shipped a bit more than 500 USB joystick adapters!!!

I want to thank everyone out there that encouraged my project!!!:happy:

I'm now working on several other projects;

- RGB to YPbPr adapter (Amiga DB-23 video adapter for modern TV)
- PlipBox spinoff (Parallel Amiga Network adapter)
- NES/SNES controller USB adapter
- Arcade USB joystick adapter (for MAME cabinet integration)
- Paddles USB adapter

Anyone interested?:eek:

Nitz76

New firmware available

:my_specoo For those of you who bought this adapter, a new firmware has been released This new firmware correct the "unrecognized device on reboot" with Windows XP, 7 and 8.

This release is also compatible with new Amiga OS 4.1, Mac OS X and Raspberry PI.

Just download the files and follow instructions on the download page:

See ya! :happy:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Re: Yup, It's this time of year again!

As much as I appreciate your efforts as many other members here do, we do not condone selling and price talk on this board. Price info has been removed feel free to edit that post without promotional gain.

Last edited:

Nitz76

As much as I appreciate your efforts as many other members here do, we do not condone selling and price talk on this board. Price info has been removed feel free to edit that post without promotional gain.

Oh. No problem. Sorry about that.

Nitz76

Hi there,
I'm just doing a little poll here.

I've been ask by a growing number of members that if I could build an opposite device; USB Joystick to DB9 compatible adapter.
That would enable current gaming joysticks/pads to work with original hardware like ATARI, C64, COMMODORE machines.

Just write in this tread if you would be in or out for a product like this.

Thanks!! :msn_wink:

Nitz76

Greetings,

I started a prototype. I'm having weird issues generating a valid USB signal recognized by my Saitek pads.

Good thing I have this 100MHz oscilloscope with 32 logic channels!

I'll post my schematic soon so experts out there can appreciate! :)

Ciao!

Nitz

Nitz76

Hey Guys! This is it.

I just received the first batch of USB Joystick adapters, PCB version 3.0.
This new version is supporting virtually any DB9 joystick ever made!
Just use the flash utility to reprogram as desired.

Here is the compatibility list:

•Atari 2600 Joystick
•Atari 7800 Joystick (2 buttons)
•Atari analog Paddle (2 controllers)
•Atari video touch pad Keyboard
•Amstrad Joystick
•Amiga Joystick (up to 3 buttons)
•Amiga Mouse (up to 3 buttons)
•Commodore 64 Joystick
•Commodore CD32 Joypad (7 buttons)
•Coleco Vision Controller
•Intellivision Touch pad (16 buttons)
•MSX Joystick
•Sega Genesis Joypad (3 and 6 buttons)
•Sega Master System Joypad (2 buttons)
•3DO Joypad

This new hardware version was designed with compatibility in mind. Every pin is reconfigurable so new firmware can be built to support much more devices.
Design will stay open source so anybody out there can contribute to this quest for retro gaming pleasure!

Cheers! :my_specoo

Nitz