Gamepad advice -- HELP!!

anarchofascist

I know this is a question type that is asked a lot, but I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer. Also, I was not sure where to put it. Sorry if this is the wrong area. Have an admin move it to the right place if so.

I need a good gamepad that works for games using both joysticks AND old school d-pads. I have heard good things about the Xbox 360 controller, but the d-pad on that I have heard does not work well for NES, SNES, etc. games. If anybody has used the 360 controller for SNES or NES games, tell me. I want 1 controller that will work with SNES, PSX, and N64 games.

These are the problems I have heard about:

Logitech gamepad - heard too many reviews about it breaking easily
Xbox 360 controller - D-pad not good for old games
PS3 controller - tried EVERYTHING to make it work, but it would not v.v

So, what is a good quality gamepad with both an old school d-pad AND an analogue stick? Also, I do not have much money, so low price is a factor.

Can anybody help me or give me suggestions as to what options I have? Are there any good gamepads that are similar the PS1/PS2 dualshock??? Also, I should not that I am want something I can simply buy and use.
The simpler the better, I am not a tech expert.

Anybody who can help will REALLY make my day.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I'd say scrap it and get a few console controllers. Adapters or way to common no-a-days. Get a psx controller and a n64 controller. Those two cover everything well. IMO the xbox is just was too button intense. Personal I use the right controller for the right game and invented a box that takes any controller from any console and adapts it to a computer. ( see sig ). though its not cheep to buy one from me you can customize a smaller version and save money. It all just depends on how greedy and crazy you want to go. A n64 and psx adapter can be found online for $15 ;)

anarchofascist

I think I may do that as I have multiple controllers from older systems. Do I have to download any drivers or stuff like that, or is it just plug and play? I have N64, SNES, and Sega Saturn, and original Xbox. Would I be able to use a controller for one system to play game on another system (for example, N64 controller to play SNES games?)

Thanks for your help, you have solved a BIG problem for me here!:D

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Do I have to download any drivers or stuff like that, or is it just plug and play?
no drivers plug and pay ready rumble works.
I have N64, SNES, and Sega Saturn, and original Xbox.
all are supported but xbox is just a pass thru using xbcd drives.
Would I be able to use a controller for one system to play game on another system
Yes you can actually switch in the middle of a game.
http://bliss-box.net/Bliss-Box/vids/auto-detect-pause/auto-detect-pause.html
[video]http://bliss-box.net/Bliss-Box/vids/onTheFly-auto-detect.avi[/video]

Last edited: