How Often Do Yo Reinstall Windows

How Often Do You Reinstall Windows

• Total voters

HybridShadow

A few days ago i was having major trouble with my new video card and i had to reinstall windows 4 times before it would work.

The first problem i got was that when logging into windows half the startup gear wouldnt start even the services (in the end it didnt even log in) [But i worked when i took it out and used the default onboard 8mb one 'shivers' -- That was fixed because i forgot the set the AGP 'Aputure' (Spelling?) According to the new card needs

The second problem is that it wouldnt work when the drivers where installed and i found out that i wasnt plugged in all the way (Really it shouldnt have worked at all)

The third problem was that windows wanted a setting change in the system properties

and i reinstalled for the 4th time because i wanted a nice smooth install

For all four fixes i have to thank 7/8 pages out of Googles 8 Billion Page Index

Jale

matt5108 said:
Also JAPPsmash im surprised your not a moderator since youve been helping out a hell of alot on these forums - not that the other mods havent been
I'm still a newbie even if I did a bunch of posts (I joined here last month). Experience makes all. I think that a moderator task is to keep the forum as clean as possible (deleting rom links, etc...) in conjunction with the administrator.

Last edited:

SladeXR

I'm fucking lazy and I have Ghost image of my entire C: partition (windows & other important software, no games), made when in good condition so all I do when things fuck up is to unpack and run the microsoft crap again.

montpics

Once a year if possible. I didn't use my PC to surf online but surely have something faulty on registry and so on which won't let myself use the very same softwares. :cool:

JAPPsmash, don't talk too much in a day or I will put you to sleep forever. :D :p

matt5108, generally persons who could reply actively is the persons who have more free times than others and I. So, that's just natural in every forum/community. :)

Last edited:

Robert

I only re-install windows when it becomes necessary, which generally happens
to be about once a year. (That is for my win95 machine). Howeever my win2000
machines I would expect to just keep working forever, until the final catastrophic
hardware error occurs.

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL

i reinstall my windows whenever it becomes impossible to system restore. guys, take advantage of it! :) also i use a lot of spyware thingys. my computer doesnt get infected alot. :) i think an avarage of once every 1.5 years

iLLisioN

I have a 20gig ghost partition. This is the easiest and fastest way of making windows "fresh" again. Formatting has its downfalls such as reinstalling and trying to find certain drivers. Go for ghost, lol.

iLLisioN

Well, if new updates came along just make another disk image. Its still faster than re-installing windows.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
These days I try to reinstall as little as possible, but once a year is common, just to get
rid of all the junk that has piled up. Last time was for a different reason - SP2 install fucked up.

nesman

Spyware/adware doesn't plague me as it used to. Last time I reformatted was back in May 2004. So far no problems. Damn Windows, I had to reformat 4 times during March because of spyware/adware related problems. Now I use a Firewall to block the damn stuff and Mozilla Firefox to surf the web.

belmont

When I used Windows Me I used to format and reinstalled them once a month :p
Now with win XP i don't have any problems,I format the disk once per year.

Jale

Nesman said:
Now I use a Firewall to block the damn stuff and Mozilla Firefox to surf the web.
Since I chose to surf with Firefox, that spyware thingy is a thing of the past :happy:

GHDpro said:
SP2 install fucked up.
You reminded me that nightmare, oh Microsoft, making things worse :confused:

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL

i hate reinstalling my system, i have to do lots of things like installing drivers and lots of others... any one knows something better than reinstalling? :(

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Just install windows, your programs and your drivers and make a backup. Every time you need a "fresh" installation all you have to do is restore the backup.