• Welcome to the Submitted Content Forum. You may use this part of the message board to submit content for reviewing before it is posted at the main site.
    • Acceptable Material
      If it is a review it has to be one of a game or emulator.
      If it is a guide/manual it has to do with emulation(how to use an emulator etc), not a game.
      New releases - Keep in mind that we check other sites regularly for those ourselves.
    • Necessary Requirements
      You may not copy content written by another person and claim it as your own. Any material found to be breaking that requirement will be removed.
    • Images
      You may use as may images as you like. At first you will have to host them to one of the many free image hosting services available. Once your material is officially posted we will copy them on the server.

Emulator Release: VGBA-Android 3.9.9 with improved Cheatopedia

fms

VGBA Release Announcements

Hello, Everyone!

Here is the last VGBA-Android release this year:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.vgba

VGBA-Android 4.8.1 adds an option to always show box art over screenshots, fixes hangups when using accelerated video on devices using Mali GPU (Samsung, Rockchip, etc) and makes screenshots display bigger on larger screens. As most people do not like to see any decorations during gameplay, VGBA now hides the title bar by default. Pull it down to reenable.

ALL CHANGES:
* Added "Show Box Art First" option to the File Selector.
* Fixed OpenGLES lockups on Mali GPUs (Samsung, RK, etc).
* Fixed flickering border when simulating scanlines on x86 devices.
* Made screenshots and box art display bigger on large screens.
* Hiding the title bar is now the default behavior.
* Fixed premature hiding of the title bar.

Merry Christmas!

fms

Re: VGBA Release Announcements

Hello, All!

It looks like Google has removed my VGBA app from the Google Play, claiming that "screenshots violate third party intellectual property" and "the application icon looks deceptive". As ludicrous as both these claims are, I am currently talking to Google drones, trying to resolve the issue. As these corporate human replacements are unable to maintain an intelligent conversation and keep responding with canned replies, it looks like I will have to republish VGBA under a new package name, meaning that everyone who needs an update will have to pay for it again.

Because I do not want people to pay twice for the same thing, I am currently working to extend VGBA with new features that make it worth the extra money. I should have a new version published the next week. In the meanwhile, you can find the new free VGBA-Windows and VGBA-Linux 4.8 packages at the VGBA home page:

http://fms.komkon.org/VGBA/

Most changes are platform-specific, optimizing the way GBA screen is rendered.

Have fun!

fms

Hello, All!

As you probably know, a while ago Google has banned my VGBA emulator from the Google Play, citing intellectual property violation by the screenshots. Since arguing with Google corporate drones is impossible nowadays, I had to publish a new emulator package, compliant with all possible objections they might have.

Meet The Emulator, emulating stuff since 1993:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.emu

I understand that there are many current VGBA users disappointed by losing the app they have paid for and having to pay for a new app. While I cannot do much about it, I have taken two steps to ease your pain and make it worthwhile:

1) The Emulator now combines both VGBA and VGB functionality. It emulates GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Classic, and Super GameBoy, in one handy package.

2) For a limited time of two weeks, I am offering The Emulator for $1.99, to let every current VGBA user jump back in. Of course, some new users will use this opportunity as well, as I have no way to tell who is who, but it is ok. :)

Have fun and sorry for all the trouble!

fms

Hello, All!

As you know, I had to replace the VGBA-Android app, removed by Google, with the new Emulator app. I have since renamed the new app to "VGBAnext", releasing the first major update today:

Unlike VGBA, VGBAnext supports *both* GameBoy Advance and GameBoy Color games, and also GameBoy Classic and Super GameBoy. In VGBAnext 1.1, I have switched to the Material Design theme, with the flat title bar, new navigation, and light backgrounds. I have also updated all the icons (including app icon) and redesigned menus to make them all work uniformly. People who could not save gameplay for DropBoxed games, should find this bug fixed now.

Please, note that VGBAnext is available for $1.99 for another week, to let all current VGBA users jump in. This is the best I can do at the moment, with Google disabling the original VGBA.

ALL CHANGES:
* Switched to the Material Design theme.
* Added new app icon showing both GBA and GB.
* Added "up" buttons to all title bars.
* Revised all menus, making them work uniformly.
* Fixed uploading state back to DropBox after playing.
* Updated all icons to the newest Lollipop versions.
* Retired some icons, replacing them with better fitting ones.
* Removed application name from all title bars, to save space.
* Now defaulting to the "light UI" mode.

Have fun!

fms

Hello, Everyone!

The VGBAnext 1.2 for Android is now online and ready for download:

In this release, I have added initial support for AndroidTV. Unfortunately, not having an AndroidTV, I cannot fully test it. If you have one of these devices, please, try VGBAnext on it and tell me how well it works (or doesn't). I also continued fixing and updating the user interface. The File Selector Grid View has got Lollipop-like tiles, or "cards", and various UI warts in the Gallery, State Exchange, State Selector, and the Palette Editor have been eliminated.

As I have to start from scratch with VGBAnext (my long running VGBA app banned by Google), I would like to ask anyone who likes VGBA and VGBAnext to review VGBAnext on the Google Play. Please, do waste a minute or two writing that feedback: it really helps me to get more users (something I need) and make a better app (something you need).

ALL CHANGES:
* Added experimental AndroidTV support. Please, test!
* Added tiles to the File Selector grid view.
* Fixed screenshots and highlight in the State Selector.
* Fixed Moga library to work on Android Lollipop.
* Fixed screenshot sizes int the State Exchange.
* Fixed black banding in the Palette Editor.
* Fixed text color in the Gallery.
* Switched to android-21 API, as required for AndroidTV.

Enjoy!

fms

Hello, All!

The new version of VGBAnext is now ready for download:

VGBAnext 1.2.3 further improves the grid view, presenting each game with a raised tile (like Google Play does). On Android TVs, the grid view should come up automagically when you install VGBAnext. Also, the TV users should now be able to reassign their gamepad buttons with the "Assign Keys" option. Once you are done assigning buttons, press the dpad center button to confirm your assignments and close the dialog box. Finally, I have added cheats for 10 more games to the Cheatopedia. Enjoy! :)

ALL CHANGES:
* Cleaned up and beautified the grid view in the File Selector.
* When assigning keys, DPAD_CENTER button confirms assignments.
* Attached original VGBA history of changes to VGBAnext changelog.
* Added cheats for Bubble Bobble and Butt Ugly Martians.
* Added cheats for Chessmaster and Colin McRae Rally 2.
* Added cheats for Donald Duck Advance and Dual Blades.
* Added cheats for F1 2002 and Flintstones.
* Added cheats for Cubix: Robots for Everyone.
* Added cheats for Gem Smashers.

fms

Hello, All!

This week's VGBAnext 1.2.5 release continues lollipopping (lollipooping?) the user interface, adding the top-left corner navigation menu and the optional tiles to the File Selector:

Please, keep in mind that some menu options have migrated to the navigation menu. To get tiles in the grid view, enable both "Grid View" and "Show Tiles" options. Starting with this release, VGBAnext will also look for a user supplied game database in the /sdcard/VGBAnext/names.dat file. Each line should contain the unique ROM identifier, in the "GBA-xxx*" or "GB-xx..x" format, and the real game name. Finally, I added cheat codes for Prince Of Persia and five Sponge Bob games to the Cheatopedia.

ALL CHANGES:
* You can add your own game names database in "/sdcard/VGBAnext/names.dat".
* Added navigation menu to the File Selector.
* Added tile view to the File Selector.
* Added "up" button to the main emulator title bar.
* Made "grid view" and "tile view" options separate.
* Moved File Selector view toggles to the navigation menu.
* VGBAnext now shows up in the Google Play for AndroidTV.
* Added Prince of Persia: Sands of Time cheats.
* Added cheats for five Sponge Bob Square Pants games.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

fms

Hello, All!

You can now download the latest VGBAnext 1.2.6 from the Google Play:

This release fixes the score bar in Pinball Tycoon and probably a bunch of other games, by properly resetting the rotation parameters on VDPCNT register changes. I have also fixed a crash when reporting deprecated package version and added cheats for 13 new GBA and GB games.

Please note that VGBAnext replaces the original VGBA app banned by Google. So far, I have not been able to make Google reenable VGBA or switch existing VGBA users to the new app.

ALL CHANGES:
* Now resetting rotation when screen mode changes.
* Fixed score bar in Pinball Tycoon.
* Fixed crash when detecting an outdated version.
* Enabled application-wide hardware acceleration.
* Moved GB options straight into Emulation Settings.
* Improved "What's New" page formatting.
* Added Ice Age and Increidble Hulk GBA cheats.
* Added Iridion3D and Iridion II GBA cheats.
* Added Karnaaj Rally and Hey Arnold GBA cheats.
* Added Adventure of Lolo and Catz GB cheats.
* Added Alfred Chicken and Casper GB cheats.
* Added Croc and Croc 2 GB cheats.
* Added Airforce Delta GB cheats.

Enjoy!

fms

Hello, All!

VGBAnext 1.3, my universal GameBoy emulator, is now ready for download:

The new version comes with the floating action button requested by many users. Pressing the button will run the last game you have played. If you do not like the new feature, simply uncheck the "Show Floating Action Button" option in "Settings | General".

I have got an Nvidia Shield Portable and thoroughly tested VGBAnext on this gaming handheld. The new button assignments let you easily use the File Selector without ever touching Shield's screen. The same assignments should also work with Xperia Play, or any gamepad you may have.

Finally, there has been a couple of fixes to the GameBoy Classic emulation. The PCM sound pitch problem, so many people complained about, has been fixed. This affects the music in Pokemon Yellow, among other games. I have also fixed the hardware window display, making menus show up in Duke Nukem.

ALL CHANGES:
* Added floating action button that starts the last played game.
* Added "Show Floating Action Button" option to the Settings.
* Fixed window display in old GameBoy (Duke Nukem and other games).
* Fixed legacy wave sound pitch (Pokemon Yellow, Baloon Kid, etc).
* Removed waveform interpolation for more realistic sound.
* Optimized legacy wave sound emulation.
* Optimized controls for Nvidia SHIELD Portable and similar devices.
* FIRE-R, FIRE-Y, and SELECT buttons open File Selector main menu.
* FIRE-X button opens File Selector navigation menu.
* FIRE-L button opens Gallery from the File Selector.
* FIRE-B button now exits File Selector.
* Fixed "About VGBAnext" banner.

Have fun!

fms

Hello, All!

After getting an AndroidTV device (ADT-1), I have been improving VGBAnext for AndroidTV and other gamepad-only Android devices. The newest VGBAnext 1.3.1 adds many optimizations that will make your big-screen gameplay enjoyable:

First of all, I have added the overscan padding, required to make application fit your TV screen. I have also changed the application banner so that it looks sharper and more similar to built-in app banners.

On the gamepad front, you should now be able to exit emulation with the BACK key and open the menu with the MODE key. If your gamepad has no MODE or MENU keys, just press A+BACK for the menu. Furthermore, if your gamepad has no SELECT or START keys, X and Y will do their job now.

The key mapping dialog ("Settings | Input | Assign Keys") has also been changed. Pressing the same key twice unmaps it, pressing it three times confirms the dialog. You can still cancel the dialog with the BACK key at any time.

As this release contains some major UI changes, I would especially like to know of any problems you are having with it. Please, either email me or post to the EMUL8 discussion forum:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/emul8

ALL CHANGES:
* Optimized app for AndroidTV, tested on the ADT-1 box.
* Added overscan border on AndroidTV devices.
* Added hints to the emulator and key mapping dialog.
* Fixed crashes on devices with no web browser (e.g. ADT-1).
* Replaced AndroidTV banner image.
* Enabled gamepad-only emulation interface.
* Press BACK on gamepad to exit emulation.
* Press MODE or BUTTON_A+BACK to open menu.
* Press BUTTON_X if you have no SELECT button.
* Press BUTTON_Y if you have no START button.
* Xperia CIRCLE button now acts as BUTTON_B.
* Redesigned key mapping dialog.
* Press same key twice to remove it from assignments.
* Press same key three times to confirm key mappings.
* DPAD_CENTER key no longer confirms key mappings.

Enjoy :)

fms

Hello, All!

The new VGBAnext 1.3.2 is now available from Google Play:

This release adds "Reset All Settings" option that lets you return to default settings without having to reinstall the app. For people with gamepads, R1 shoulder button now invokes the context menu in the File Selector. Finally, I have added six more games to the Cheatopedia.

ALL CHANGES:
* Added "General | Reset All Settings" option.
* Pressing BUTTON_R1 now invokes File Selector context menu.
* Added Super Robot Taisen J cheats to the Cheatopedia.
* Added Namco Museum cheats to the Cheatopedia.
* Added NASCAR Heat 2002 cheats to the Cheatopedia.
* Added NBA Jam 2002 cheats to the Cheatopedia.
* Added Spirits And Spells cheats to the Cheatopedia.
* Added Tarzan: Return To The Jungle cheats to the Cheatopedia.

Enjoy!

fms

In the new VGBAnext 1.3.3 release, I cleaned up several virtual gamepad skins and switched to Material Design action bar icons throughout the app:

If you still see a non-material piece of the UI anywhere, please, let me know. I have also added cheat codes for 7 more GameBoy Advance games and 12 more GameBoy Classic games. See below for the complete list.

ALL CHANGES:
* Added Material Design icons everywhere.
* Retouched virtual gamepad images.
* Added cheats for Aero The Acrobat.
* Added cheats for Alienators: Evolution Continues.
* Added cheats for Angelic Layer (Japanese).
* Added cheats for Around The World In 80 Days.
* Added cheats for ATV Quad Power Racing.
* Added cheats for two Battlebots games.
* Added cheats for Elmo in Grouchland and Emperor's New Groove.
* Added cheats for Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back and Fish Dude.
* Added cheats for Faceball 2000 and Fist Of The North Star.
* Added cheats for F-1 Race and F-18 Thunder Strike.
* Added cheats for Famista and Famista 2.
* Added cheats for Frogger and Frogger 2.

Have fun!

fms

Hello, All!

VGBAnext 1.3.4, the new release of the universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, and GameBoy Classic emulator, is now ready:

The Joystick Layout Editor is once again fully operational. I have fixed several issues, including gravity lines not moving and the size/skin/opacity changes not showing up. I have also added support for the second Super GameBoy player, as long as you have a second gamepad connected. This should work for all Super GameBoy games supporting more than one player. Make sure both gamepads are connected before you start VGBAnext though. Finally, there are cheats for 8 more GameBoy Advance games, including Pitfall, Pirates Of The Caribbean, and Oddworld.

ALL CHANGES:
* Super GameBoy games can now be played with two gamepads.
* To play together, connect both gamepads before starting VGBAnext.
* Fixed Joystick Layout Editor to properly show labels and gravity.
* Added cheats for two Pirates Of The Caribbean games.
* Added cheats for two Pitfall games.
* Added cheats for Oddworld: Munch's Oddyssee.
* Added cheats for Operation Armored Liberty.
* Added cheats for Planet Monsters.
* Added cheats for Planet Of The Apes.

Enjoy!

fms

Hello, All!

VGBAnext 1.3.5, a new version of my universal GameBoy emulator, has been released:

This release has been specifically tested and optimized for Nvidia Shield Player and other AndroidTV devices. Pressing both thumbsticks down should open the menu when running a game, something that was a problem with AndroidTV before. I have also released free VGBA 4.9 for Windows and Linux:

The new Windows release switches to the texture-based Direct3D display rendering and adds an option to stretch GBA display to the full screen. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:
* VGBAnext tested and optimized for Nvidia Shield AndroidTV device.
* On AndroidTV, press both thumbsticks down to invoke the menu.
* Made "Emulation" tab show "no settings outside emulation" hint.
* Added cheats for Razor Freestyle Scooter to VGBAnext Cheatopedia.
* Added cheats for Reign of Fire to VGBAnext Cheatopedia.
* Added cheats for Revenge of Shinobi to VGBAnext Cheatopedia.
* Removed waveform interpolation for more realistic sound.
* Switched VGBA-Windows to Direct3D textures-based rendering.
* Added "Video | Stretch Full Screen" option to VGBA-Windows.
* Added "Hardware | Debugger" option to VGBA-Windows.
* Added -lcd and -nolcd command line options.

Enjoy!

fms

Hello, All!

I have just updated VGBAnext to version 1.3.6:

This version fixes a crash in the State Exchange feature (that lets people trade gameplay states) and reenables the action bar on devices with physical MENU buttons. Some Cyanogen users complained that their devices misreport MENU button as "present", effectively disabling all menus. This issue should be gone in this new VGBAnext version. I have also added cheats for 11 more games, including SD Gundam, [i[Samurai Jack[/i], Sea Trader, and Sheep.

ALL CHANGES:
* Reenabled action bar on devices with physical MENU key.
* Fixed a crash in the State Exchange browser.
* Added cheats for Samurai Jack: The Amulet of Time.
* Added cheats for Sea Trader: The Rise of Taipan.
* Added cheats for Sabrina: The Teenage Witch.
* Added cheats for Shifting Gears: Road Trip.
* Added cheats for SD Gundam Force.
* Added cheats for Salt Lake 2002.
* Added cheats for four Shrek games.
* Added cheats for Sheep.

Enjoy!

fms

Hello, All!

I have released VGBAnext 1.3.7, a new version of my universal GameBoy emulator for Android:

Starting with this version, you can supply your own virtual joystick skin in /sdcard/VGBAnext/Controls.png. For a sample skin image that you can modify, look here:

http://fms.komkon.org/EmuAndroid/#Skin

Many people, whose Android devices have MENU buttons, have complained that the Cheats and Freeze/Restore menus are "gone" in the previous VGBAnext release. These menus were not gone, but moved to the action bar icons. By public request, I moved them back to the menu. If you do not see the menu, or would like to see the action bar, use the new "General | Enable Action Bar" option in the Settings. Finally, I have added cheats for 27 more GameBoy Color and GameBoy Classic games.

ALL CHANGES:
* Added joystick skins, place your own skin into /sdcard/VGBAnext/Controls.png.
* Sample joystick skin image available at http://fms.komkon.org/EmuAndroid/#Skin.
* Made action bar optional on devices with MENU button (off by default).
* Added "General | Enable Action Bar" option for devices with MENU button.
* Added exception for LG Optimus Zone 2 (does not show submenus).
* Added cheats for 27 GameBoy Color and GameBoy Classic games.
* Added cheats for Addams Family, A Boy And His Blob, Aerostar.
* Added cheats for Adventure Island, Bonk's Adventure, Dracula.
* Added cheats for Avenging Spirit, Blaster Master, Burai Fighter.
* Added cheats for Burger Time Deluxe, Battle City, Choplifter.

Enjoy!

fms

Hello, All!

I've released VGBAnext 1.3.8 tonight, the new version of my universal GameBoy emulator:

This release fixes sound in International Karate and other games that only use "legacy" melodic sound. I have also improved VGBAnext behavior on devices that do not allow writing to external SD card. From now on, if you run games from external storage where state cannot be saved, VGBAnext will automatically create /sdcard/VGBAnext folder in the internal storage and save game states there. Finally, I added cheats for 9 more GameBoy Classic games, including Daikatana and Cutthroat Island.

ALL CHANGES:
* Fixed melodic sound when wave sound disabled (International Karate).
* Removed "DirectSound Off" option from the Advanced Settings menu.
* Now automatically creating /sdcard/VGBAnext if missing.
* When VGBAnext cannot write SD card, it will save to /sdcard/VGBAnext.
* Added cheats for Cyber Tiger and Cyraid.
* Added cheats for Daikatana and Darkman.
* Added cheats for two Daffy Duck games.
* Added cheats for Cool Spot Adventure.
* Added cheats for Crazy Castle.
* Added cheats for Cutthroat Island.

Enjoy!

fms

Hello, All!

I have released VGBAnext 1.3.9 tonight, with updated backdrop images and cheats for eight more GBA games:

Also, starting with this release you can have individual backdrops for each game. For example, if you have a file named Game.gba, place Game.gba.back.png file with the backdrop in the same folder. The preferred size is 640x800, but you can have any size you want. The backdrop will always be cut off at the bottom, as needed.

ALL CHANGES:
* Updated backdrop images in portrait mode, with no gaps.
* Changed backdrop rendering algorithm to the top alignment.
* You can have custom backdrop for Game.gba in Game.gba.back.png.
* Typical backdrop size is 640x800, bottom part may go off-screen.
* Added cheats for Nicktoons Racing and Ninja Five-O.
* Added cheats for No Rules: Get Phat and Paperboy+Rampage.
* Added cheats for Peter Pan: The Movie and Piglet's Big Game.
* Added cheats for Pinball Tycoon and Pinobee: Wings Of Adventure.

Enjoy!

fms

Hello, All!

I have just released VGBA 5.0, a new version of my GameBoy Advance emulator, for Windows and Linux:

http://fms.komkon.org/VGBA -- homepage
http://fms.komkon.org/VGBA/VGBA50-Windows-bin.zip -- Windows binary
http://fms.komkon.org/VGBA/VGBA50-Ubuntu-x86-bin.tgz -- Ubuntu Linux binary

The new release changes sound rendering algorithms, fixing the sound in Super Puzzle Fighter 2, International Karate, and other games. Sound rendering is also faster now.

The Windows version adds options for selecting 64kB/128kB FlashROM type and makes sure that the automatic type selection overrides, but does not change user settings. If you would like to use your own settings, uncheck the "Guess Hardware" option.

ALL CHANGES:
* Now rendering remaining samples when direct sound channel disabled.
* Now playing all rendered samples at the end of a video frame.
* Fixed direct sound with rates close to 22kHz (Super Puzzle Fighter 2).
* Fixed melodic sound when wave sound is off (International Karate).
* Removed "Direct Sound Off" option from built-in menu and VGBA-Windows.
* Added "64kB FlashROM"/"128kB FlashROM" options to VGBA-Windows.
* Made sure "Guess Hardware" does not mess user-selected storage options.
* When guessing hardware, default to 6bit EEPROM, 64kB FlashROM.

Enjoy!

fms

Hello, All!

The new VGBAnext 1.4, based on the recently released VGBA 5.0, is now available online:

This version once again changes sound rendering algorithms, making sound rendering faster and fixing sound in Super Puzzle Fighter 2 in the process. You can also get free versions of VGBA 5.0 for Windows and Linux from the homepage:

ALL CHANGES:
* This version is based on the just released VGBA 5.0 GBA emulator.
* Fixed direct sound with rates close to 22kHz (Super Puzzle Fighter 2).
* Now rendering remaining samples when sound DMA gets disabled.
* Now playing all rendered samples at the end of a video frame.
* Improved overall emulation performance.
* Made GBA backdrop image shorter.

Have fun!