Windows 8

tman7776

Will all these emulators work for windows 8?

I have this concern that Microsoft will end up blocking out a lot a programs that aren't theirs or companis will have to re-work their entire program to make it compatiable with the new Windows UI

VintageTorrie

Megadeth Fan
We don't know. There's a high chance that at least some will work, but we only have the preview released, which isn't even the full OS.

ilovebbw

I read somewhere that Windows 8 UEFI Secure Boot firmware will prohibit certain programs from being installed by the user. Is this true? Is this just a scheme by Microsoft to get us into their stupid little online store like Apple? I'm getting fed up with the way technology seems to be moving: less control for the user. I'm looking into getting a new gaming computer soon, and I want to get Windows 7 and never upgrade it...

testmachine

Old member
I read somewhere that Windows 8 UEFI Secure Boot firmware will prohibit certain programs from being installed by the user.

I am afraid that this is true.Not only programs,but games.Some of the games are Minecraft (almost every Indie game won't have the needed certificate to run on the Windows 8),and games that are not from big companies (big companies like Konami,EA,EA Black Box,CapCom,Namco Bandai,Activision,Infinity Ward etc.).
that is the reason i will never update to Windows 8.I will stick with Windows XP and Windows 7.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
The concept was first considered for win7 but was ditched at the last go around. I heard its a check out type of system, where in-order to install the package will be verified. Just another act of freedom corruption IMO. Its the same thing as locking our cars at 80 mph or so. I for one will be boycotting this os. I installed it this weekend for my father on his new PC and I have to say I'm not impressed. Its targeted for Mobil devices. A real joke actually, it even assumed you can swipe the screen ? I tried to open the start menu ( now just a screen of icons ) and it said swipe left or right to see more icons. Yea... um my PC monitor does not have a touch screen morons??? So you had to do some mouse clicks to get it to zoom out. Was a rather messy OS, IMO.

Last edited:

testmachine

Old member
Installed the Preview release on VirtualBox.And i must say that what i said is true "Windows 8 is crap".
1.I don't like the Metro UI.The Metro UI is designed for touch screens and is not very user friendly.
2.I don't like the certificate protection system.Meaning that every program(or game)must have a certificate with Microsoft's approval (Digital fingerprint etc.).Even Notch and few other game developers say that they will not support Windows 8.They said that they will gladly switch to Linux if Microsoft continues with the Cert. system.
3.I won't use it until windows 7 and XP start dying.

Last edited:
@tm
I have installed the preview on VMWare. I dont like it but i like the full version.
btw i will build/buy a new powerfull PC with Windows XP for emulation, as I have removed XP and 7 from my PC.

ilovebbw

Alright, time to start finding me a copy of Windows XP and Windows 7...

My main computer is a Mac, but will buy a cheap <$700 desktop for emulation.