Dolphin - Load custom controller config for each game?

tranceology3

For the moment, the dolphin emulator site is down, and I figured posting here could possibly help me out.

I want to know if there is a way to auto load a specific controller.ini per game once launched. I'm using an Xbox360 controller, and have made different controller configs for each game, but in order to load them up I have to manually select that config each time. I would like it to auto load when the game is loaded.

Ultimately I want to load these controller configs through "Rom Collection Browser" ( an XBMC emulator front-end program ). If someone knows how, that would be great!

Thanks!

istolechristmas

In Windows there is a way to launch each game from outside Dolphin with its own set of ALL settings available in Dolphin, including specific CPU Clock Override settings, even controller configuration. Follow these simple steps that I figured out by tinkering around myself:

1) Create a new directory (folder) that you would like to contain each game's settings (example: C:\Dolphin_Settings). For each game you would like to have a specific configuration, create a new folder for it under this directory (example folder path for game: C:\Dolphin_Settings\Super Mario Galaxy). So as for the example, you should now have a new folder under C:\ drive called 'Dolphin_Settings' and inside this folder you created a new one called 'Super Mario Galaxy'.

2) Copy the current 'Dolphin Emulator' configuration folder from your 'Documents' or 'My Documents' folder (example path: C:\Users\David\Documents) to the 'C:\Dolphin_Settings\Super Mario Galaxy' folder. You need to follow this step for each game folder you created.

3) Create a new shortcut to the Dolphin Emulator program (e.g. C:\Program Files\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe) or call it from a script, but include command line arguments following the below examples.

(a) Windows shortcut example: Name the new shortcut with the game's title (e.g. Super Mario Galaxy). Right-click on shortcut and select 'Properties'. Under the 'Shortcut' tab, there is a 'Target' box. The content of the target box needs to follow this syntax exactly, including the quotation marks:

"C:\Program Files\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe" -u "C:\Dolphin_Settings\Super Mario Galaxy\Dolphin Emulator" -e "C:\Roms\Super Mario Galaxy [NTSC-U].iso"

(Syntax reference: "path_to_dolphin\Dolphin.exe" -u "C:\Dolphin_Settings\Super Mario Galaxy\Dolphin Emulator" -e "rom_file_path\rom_file.iso" )

(b) Scripting reference: If you are wanting to launch a specific game via a script or other program, you need to call the Dolphin Executable (e.g. "C:\Program Files\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe") and include the following command line arguments, including quotation marks:

-u "C:\Dolphin_Settings\Super Mario Galaxy\Dolphin Emulator" -e "C:\Roms\Super Mario Galaxy [NTSC-U].iso"

(Syntax reference: -u "C:\Dolphin_Settings\Super Mario Galaxy\Dolphin Emulator" -e "rom_file_path\rom_file.iso" )

4) Once the game is launched by your new shortcut or script, you can close or switch from the game window to the main Dolphin screen to adjust whatever settings you want for that game. These settings will be saved and will only apply to that game. In order to keep launching the specified game with its own settings, you need launch it each time using your new shortcut or script. In essence, each time you launch Dolphin with the new shortcut or script, you are telling Dolphin to use a specified folder for its configuration. You are also telling it which game to load and apply this configuration. This is also nice as you can create a different controller configuration for each game. For anyone using XBMC/Kodi to manage their ROM library, this launch method is very useful to prevent the constant need to keep adjusting settings. Just click and play each game after it is all setup; very user-friendly!

Hope this helps other people enjoy this great program even more!