emulator front end suggestions?

LMH

I've spent the last few days working on a Hyperspin project and progress is ssllloooowwww!!! It may be the best looking way of using PC emulators without having to touch a keyboard, but I really wans't intending to spend so many tedious hours on getting a GUI working. There must be something simpler out there that does the job (and probably functions better and easier). All I really want is a system with menus that work with a control pad for a PC that is hooked up to the TV with wireless game contollers. The videos, box art, logos and all the noises really aren't necessary.

One of my biggest criticisms of Hyperspin is that it doesn't allow you to return to the menu from a game controller unless you set up auto hotkeys (another tedious thing that I haven't even started yet). Do any front end systems work without having to do the ahk stuff? Some emulators allow you to assign one of the controller buttons to the Escape key, but not all. A system of holding down three buttons to exit (like emulators on the Dreamcast) worked far better.

Any suggestions?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
If you dont mind running Games from a mouse/keyboard look at QP. Granted all front ends are going to take time but this one has a lot of magic buttons. For example a find all your emulators and set up the basic settings wizard. The forums are the best place to start
http://www.quickplayfrontend.com/index.php?act=idx

LMH

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a neat way of having everything in one place, but I want the front end to work without a mouse/keyboard. The PC that it will run on is hooked up to the HDTV in the living room and is purely for emulators. I have a wireless keybaord/trackpad, but I want to eliminate that when playing/selecting games. In fact, I want to hide the OS (Windows XP) as much as possible and have the emulator front end launching on startup, so you never have to touch the keyboard/trackpad at all.

One of the neatest, functional GUI frontends that I've seen was DreamSNES. It ran SNES games on a Deamcast console, and didn't have anything majorly unecessary. Is there anything like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5scG0G7Q88