no "default options" problem in mame32???

pewter02ws6

hello all, i did a search for my specific problem but couldn't turn anything up. i am running a version of mame that came on a disk i obtained about 5 years ago. i know there are newer versions out there which i did download but it does not work for most of the roms i have. it will tell me that there are a bunch of files missing for 90% of the roms i have.

the older version of mame plays almost every arcade rom i have but the problem is that i am trying to set it up to use my game pad controller instead of the keyboard for playing games. when i go to the options screen the "default options" area is shaded out where i cannot click on it to go into the default options. the other three options in that menu are available. there is another screen that i can click to restore defaults and a prompt will come up telling me that the changes will take effect the next time i start mame but nothing appears to change. i still cannot get into the default options to set up a controller. can anyone please help me fix this issue?? i know i was able to do this previously but for some reason it is not letting me into the default options area anymore. :confused:

RetroTom

you have to set the controller up in windows as in control pannel game controllers and so on hope you can find it mate! should work then