Looking for Emulators that don't require something like Daemon Tools

eightbit.gg

I'd prefer to run all emulators without needing additional software and scripts. What are the best emulators that can run the .iso files or whatever using only the emulators for the following consoles:

Playstation 1
TurboGrafx-CD
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast

I think for TurboGrafx-CD I used Magic Engine or Turbo Engine but I can't remember right now. I think this would be some important information for everyone that doesn't want to use CD mounting tools and additional scripts for things like Hyperspin. Also, how you managed to get them to work using only .iso files or whatever files they required would help as well. Thanks for those that contribute to this discussion.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I would use pSX 1.13 for playstation, but I don't know what to use as far as the others go, I am running an old rig.

VintageTorrie

Megadeth Fan
I don't think any emulator requires additional software. You just need to get plugins (which are usually supplied with the emulator), and a BIOS for disc console emulators that use discs (PSX, PS2, Gamecube etc.). You don't need a BIOS for cartridhe console emulators (N64, NES, SNES etc.).

eightbit.gg

Ok, since this isn't going anywhere... how do you use the following emulators without Daemon Tools or some "disc image" software? I'd like to run the emulators without additional software. These are the emulators I'm currently considering but are not working. I'm disappointed so far because although you all make it sound easy, every tutorial I come across involves setting these emulators up with Daemon Tools which is something I do not want to do. All help is greatly appreciated.

pSX - Playstation 1
Turbo Engine - TurboGrafx-CD (I think I got this to work right but a guide would be useful)
SSF - Sega Saturn
nullDC - Sega Dreamcast

VintageTorrie

Megadeth Fan
You don't need image software. Just go to the menu, and and the 'run iso' option. All you need to do is browse to the iso image.

eightbit.gg

You don't need image software. Just go to the menu, and and the 'run iso' option. All you need to do is browse to the iso image.

With all of those emulators? If it was that easy I wouldn't be here. Either I'm missing files or a step in setting it all up. Any ideas on where to view a complete tutorial on those Emulators?

pSX - Playstation 1
Turbo Engine - TurboGrafx-CD (I think I got this to work right but a guide would be useful)
SSF - Sega Saturn
nullDC - Sega Dreamcast

Also, are you all saying this out of experience or have you actually gotten all of these to run without image software?

VintageTorrie

Megadeth Fan
Well, with PSX, you need to download plugins and the BIOS, but thats's all. I don't know about the others though, but I'm assuming it's the same.

eightbit.gg

I got everything to work except Saturn and Dreamcast after listening to you all. Can you all try SSF - Sega Saturn and nullDC - Sega Dreamcast and let me know if you got those to work and what you needed to get it working. You don't have to link the files just the names would help. Thanks for the help so far.

Rodimus Primal

AFAIK SSF works best with Daemon Tools to load the disc image. I don't mind it because its cool having a virtual drive to play any disc I see fit. I know ePSXe can use either ISOs loaded directly, Daemon Tools loaded discs images(which solves the problem with multiple disc games), or the literal game disc in your disc drive. NullDC uses the image in a specific file type(cdi I believe. correct me if I'm wrong) and direct loads them. I use Daemon Tools for Ootake to play Turbo CD games.

goformickey

Might be a little late to the game and I know that this isn't the reply you want but anyway...

Daemon tools lite is a tiny installation on your computer, you wont notice it.
When you install it it automatically sets daemon tools as the default program for .ISO files.
Which means all this effort and confusion you have envisioned in your head when it comes to mounting games and running them is actually only a double click...

You legit double click the .ISO file and it'll be mounted almost instantly. The effort involved in that is a whole lot less than going to the trouble of finding plugins for each and every emulator, etc. Then unmounting it is two clicks and a few mouse movements away(you right click the system tray icon then move the mouse over the popup menu to get to "unmount disk".

Or you could just leave the disk mounted, then when you want to mount another, you just double click again and it'll automatically dismount the old disk and mount the one you just clicked....

It's infact easier than getting emulators to run without it, and the Daemon tools installation size will be smaller than a bunch of plugins probably.

Don't quote me here but I don't think running .ISO straight through the emulator takes less RAM/CPU resources if that's your worry. I'm pretty sure that if the emulator is running straight from the .ISO then it's actually mounting it internally in the program...so basically using the same resources. Probably more since it wouldn't be coded as well as Daemon since it's not an extremely popular program from a big name company.

Last edited:

RavenX13

more or less on the same subject ... is it more efficient to run the iso mounted to a virtual drive such as damean tools and have the emulator run it as a disk or use the emulators virtual mount.. just wondering if that would have a difference on ingame speeds. or is it more a persons personal preference? more or less im trying to lighten the load of my emulator to give it more (memory?) to keep the game running smoother