"Don't hate me because I'm old..."

cloud4004

I'm tired of people turning down good RPG's because there "old". It's not old you nunse! It's a classic! If you don't like the graphics at least give the story and game play a chance... So many great RPG's are ignored because people are critical, close minded, idiots. It's like no one cares anymore. I met a chick yesterday who said her favorite FF game was X-2 simply because of how nice the graphics looked "WHAT THE HELL!?" I say! "What the hell..."

:fuckyou: EVERYONE!

montpics

That's pretty common to any gamers nowadays. In which many newcomers only try the latest games and not the oldies. And I supposed she is also categorized in that group as well. Thinking that good graphics is the good game. I can't blame those people, as they are too new to the gaming world. :cool:

Zach

I'm not trying to be rude to younger people either. I mean I was born in '82 myself, but when I look at my bro and other people his age who are only 2 years younger than me, they just have no appreciation for the classics.

To his credit he wants FF: Dawn of Souls for christmas, and even though its a bastardized version of FF1, I plan to pick it up for him. He also likes Tactics Advance, and did like Tactics PSX, but found advanced more fun.

TiredBoy

Personally (as a kid born in 1986), I think I find the older games more fun, though they probably aren't going to be quite as retro as the ones you're thinking of Neco. I'm a big fan of the early RPGs, and granted, although there are some pretty good ones, the ones in the days of the NES and SNES are the ones that really grabbed my attention.

I bought FF: Origins. Does that count for anything? :D Oh, and I still have a working light gun for my NES with Duck Hunt. No Ataris or Commodores, though.

Jale

TiredBoy said:
Personally (as a kid born in 1986), I think I find the older games more fun
I totally agree with you! I was born in 1986 and I really appreciate classics, even Atari's ones.

Nowadays, some game depelopers take graphics as a priority and the plot is a whole mess.

Last edited:

Zach

I have origins and enjoyed FF1 quite a bit. FF2 I've found hard to 'get into' though. I also like FF1 on NES but prefer origins because I can only take so much of the NES sound before I go crazy. Its one of the few games where the sound could have been made a little less 'harsh'

cloud4004

Wow...

I just logged on today... I can't believe how many gamers replayed to my post yesterday... :eek: I'm touched. I had almost lost hope in all RPG gamers. "Thank you" everyone.

J

Jet Set Willy

I'm kinda worried how you read this thread and then posted about Chrono Trigger in the retro forum...

TiredBoy

Neco said:
I have origins and enjoyed FF1 quite a bit. FF2 I've found hard to 'get into' though. I also like FF1 on NES but prefer origins because I can only take so much of the NES sound before I go crazy. Its one of the few games where the sound could have been made a little less 'harsh'
I'd have to agree regarding FF2 (Japanese release, I'm assuming). While the story was pretty good for its time and the concept was cool, the leveling system was way too tedious - it was infinitely better executed in Fire Emblem, despite the genre differences.

Don't you feel all that nostalgia from the sound? =P Personally, I'm not bothered by sound unless it's chanting (*cough Xenosaga image cough*). The real 3 (read: "3j" as in the third Japanese release) is probably one of my favorite RPGs, though, and probably 70 or so percent of the reason I'm even considering a DS.

And I still have that darn Dragon Warrior I saved game sitting around, waiting for me to pick up Erdrick's Armor. Argh. Why oh why didn't I finish it!?! Oh yeah. College prep. Whoo.